Transfer switch installation

Users who are viewing this thread

lucore

Reaction score
ea954cc0-8adb-410b-8e27-47c4fb57e3c5_400.jpg

IMG_6798.jpg

lucore

Reaction score
I guess my post didn't make it, only the pics.. Anyway - here it is again . . .

I am not an electrician, but have done some DIY stuff (installing lights, adding ceiling fans, changing oulets, etc.) without harming myself (yet). I want to install a transfer switch in my home for peace of mind during hurricane season, but have some questions. What I have seen online, and talking to others who have installed, I believe it is in my range of DIY. My breaker box is in the laundry room on an interior wall, so it is inset (see photo). The box on the right is range, dryer, AC. I'm planning on going into box on left. Though I would love to have the switch inset, I really don't want to do it, and am unsure where it would even go. Even if placed directly on wall, where would be the best place and what would be the best option of putting the wiring into the wall and into the box? I realize that this is not an ideal set-up for a generator hook-up (will have to run the cord under the side door with the generator on the porch), but the only other option I see is a whole-house generator, which, due to many different reasons, would not be economically feasible.

Other questions -
Am planning on a 30 amp, 250V, 7500W, 6 circuit switch. I have a 6250W generator with 120/240V. This should be adequate to power 6 of the 20 amp circuits, right?
What if I did want to try to power one of my two AC units? They look to be 60 amp buddied together in the right sided box. If I could power the AC, that throws a whole new problem with placing the switch and wiring to 2 separate boxes. Suggestions?

Long story short - I mainly want to power my fridge/freezer, kitchen/LR and one (maybe 2?) of the downstairs rooms. We can manage without the AC as long as we have box fans.

Any suggestions about placement, advice on wiring into the inset box, and anything else that you feel may be helpful, please let me know. All that I have seen online (and my friend) dealy with a breaker box (not inset) on an exterior wall that was easily handled. Just looking for a little help.

Thank you for any advice/suggestions

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks