Minimum height of shelf above toilet tank cover for ease of service

Users who are viewing this thread

Bernie A

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am redoing a small bathroom and I want to but a shelf above the toilet to run across over the sink, like you sometimes see in hotel rooms. Since I want to be able to service the toilet guts in the tank, is there an acceptable height above the top of the tank to install the shelf so that I don't have to take it down to work inside the tank?

Right now I am allowing for 10", can maybe stretch it to 11".

Toilet is a Toto Drake II, one gal flush.

Thanks in advance!

Bernie

Reach4

Reaction score
I would think that the distance that the shelf extends from the wall would affect that decision.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
10" should be more than enough room to do most anything in the tank, unless, as Reach said, it is especially deep. I think if it were particularly deep, you'd be hitting your head or it would poke you in the back if you were sitting there, so it probably isn't an issue. Some people end up putting that shelf on a hinge, or make it removable.

Bernie A

Reaction score
Planning on 7" shelf depth there, same as tank top.

Thanks for the links reach.

Hinged? Good idea possibly. Seems like might be inviting trouble though, plus I want a clean uninterrupted look 52" across that wall.

Thanks for the ideas.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
If you have 10" above the top of the toilet tank to the bottom of the shelf, and it's only 7" deep, you should be able to do any required maintenance without any issues. Most people tend to continue the vanity counter-top, and that would be problematic, maybe only leaving a few inches, if that.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Even replacing a fill valve would not require a lot of space, fill valves to not have to lift out or be inserted vertically. However, if the toilet needed to be pull and reset, an attached shelf might well be a PITA. Consider shelves that could be attached to the wall and be adjusted and/or lifted off if necessary.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
With 10" of clearance above the top of the tank, there'd be plenty of space to remove the toilet...you only need a couple of inches to lift it off of the bolts. Once the cover is off, you've got maybe 2" more, or a foot. You should be able to do anything you want in there without any issues, including pulling it, if it was ever required.

Bernie A

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the helpful comments. I have a lot of elements to juggle in this puzzle, including the fact this shelf will cross over the top of the sink and faucet below the medicine cabinet. I think I am just going to go for a short 4" shelf across that wall, should keep everything manageable.
Cheers,
Bernie

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks