Bath exhaust fan location advice

Users who are viewing this thread

digdugger

Reaction score
Hello, I plan on installing two Delta bath exhaust fan (sorry don't have dimensions, CFM or model # handy but they're definitely bigger than the small Broans....I'll post this after I get home) into two bathrooms. I removed the humidity sensor (per provided instructions) as the manufacturer support said that was the only way to get it to work in tandem with the light switch like I want. (otherwise it ONLY works based on humidity, which I assume doing a #2, or a person breathing sitting on the toilet, would not trigger?)

Anyhow, as you can see from the photos (I'm shooting from the doorway on both), there's no avoiding me installing it within a foot or so of the A/C vent. (to both be centrally located in the big bathroom, and in the small bathroom, to drop it in place of the existing one) I was initially worried about the exhaust fan sucking out A/C air (I do have those A/C vent louvers closed, though some still leaks out). But someone here told me the bath fan probably wouldn't suck out much A/C at all, since cold air fails and the humid hot air (that you want to remove) will rise to where the exhaust fan can get to it. So if that's the case, I should not worry about it being so close? However, the bath fan is supposed to move a lot of CFM so it could matter? Some suggest using plastic or cardboard to block off the A/C vents, so I could do that. (my 40 yr old Trane's air pressure is pathetic anyways) The other obvious option to me is installing it directly above the shower. I don't know how smart that is, nor if it violates any National or Arizona electrical or HVAC code in any way. I'm sure it would be great for directly sucking out shower mist, but probably not ideal for sucking out toilet odors, especially with the shower curtain drawn as most people prefer to keep it?

The bathroom with the diffuser vent is tiny. So small you have to close the door to sit on the toilet. I estimate the other bathroom is maybe 10 feet from doorway to outside wall and maybe 6' at most from side to side walls. If it's critical I'll measure it, let me know. Also the drilled hole next to the A/C vent marks where the attic exhaust roof jack was installed, and the toilet is to the left of the vent (below the towels) in the larger bathroom. In the tiny bathroom it's between the potted plant and the shower. If I put it above the shower in either bathroom, the connector duct in the attic would need to be angled to reach the roof jack a few feet away.

Any advice from either electricians (on the code) or HVAC guys (on the location)? I wasn't sure if I was allowed to post to both forums, but maybe I can post in Electrical asking if they can read this post in HVAC?
few feet away.
IMG_0528.JPG
IMG_0526.JPG

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If your fan was on most of the day, yes, it could be an issue with the overall energy efficiency of the house...that is rarely the case, though. Keep in mind that the air that is exhausted is typically coming from within the conditioned space, and the replacement air is getting sucked into the whole house through cracks. That means it's pulling in unconditioned air that might contain additional moisture and could be quite hot or cold depending on the season and the current weather. On an older house, there are often enough leaks where that's not an issue, but as new houses are built and people tighten up older ones, it becomes more of an issue. Ideally, you'd have an energy recovery unit on a very tight house that provided an engineered transfer of fresh air into the house while recovering much of the heat that otherwise would be lost during the exhaust. IF the house were perfectly sealed...while the fan might run, it would not actually move any air, or not much, as it would be trying to create a vacuum in the house!

Basically, you're overthinking this...there are literally many millions of houses with the same layout as you have. Is it ideal, no. Is it catastrophic, no.

FWIW, I added on a humidity controlled switch to the fan I installed at my mother's house. It will come on automatically, or you can force it on manually. Once on, it runs until either the humidity level drops, or 30-minutes, whichever is longer. One of the issues with bathroom fans when a shower is in use is that people rarely leave them on long enough to do their full job, which is likely to be the case when it is connected to the light switch. It would also require you to turn the light on during the day, when it might not be required to get the use of the fan.

Basic physics...cold air is denser than hot air, so cold falls, hot rises. The fan can overcome some of that natural effect, but not all.

To test that added on switch, the instructions said to get up close and exhale onto the sensor...it does work, but you have to be close, otherwise, the moisture from your breath would disperse too much, and not be enough to trigger it.

digdugger

Reaction score
Basically, you're overthinking this...there are literally many millions of houses with the same layout as you have. Is it ideal, no. Is it catastrophic, no.
One of the issues with bathroom fans when a shower is in use is that people rarely leave them on long enough to do their full job, which is likely to be the case when it is connected to the light switch. It would also require you to turn the light on during the day, when it might not be required to get the use of the fan.

Thanks. We do know enough to leave on the exhaust fan for 10-20 mins after a shower (or until you don't feel the humidity). Bathrooms have tiny windows so are never well lit so I'm fine with it going on with the light switch. So it seems you agree put the fan where the other one is (replacement), and in the room without one, where I have the drilled hole marker. In other words, don't sweat it.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
It is best to install a timer wall switch. This is the best timer switch for your bathroom light & fan as far as being simple and easy to use. Each timer button is large and easy to see. Each have its own LED and the timer combination of 10/20/30/60 minutes work best for my needs. But there are other timer intervals switches that you can buy. Other types like at HD stores the buttons are too small. My bath fan happens to be on its own switch.

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ProductDetail.jsp?partnumber=LTB60-1LZ&section=44956
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00313JXB0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks