Cleaning excessive purple primer on PVC pipes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Theodore

Reaction score
Hi,
So, just finished installing drain lines in my new basement laundry room, which is in a somewhat open/visible space in the basement. It works great, but looks like every pipe joint is "bleeding" purple because, no matter how much I tried, it still got messy.
Is there any way to remove any of these purple drips on the pipes? or do I just spray paint it white?
What do professionals do (other than not be a messy amateur like me)?
Advice appreciated.
Thanks
Theodore.

Reach4

Reaction score
Next time use clear primer if you don't need an inspector to check for purple.

Paint will be easier than sandpaper.

White tape would be easier still. http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/ElectricalUtility/Home/Products/ProductCatalog/~/Scotch-Vinyl-Color-Coding-Electrical-Tape-35-3-4-in-x-66-ft-White?N=5549421+4294920706&rt=rud

primer-in-tub.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Purple primer is so that inspectors can visually see the joints were primed. It penetrates the surface of the pipe and can not be removed other than as described in previous posts. It is supposed to show.

Flapper

Reaction score
The only way to remove the purple, AFAIK, is to grind away the purple colored material.
Paint over it.

To prevent primer from getting everywhere, you should tap your dauber on the rim, to get rid of excess primer, so it doesn't drip and run everywhere. Then you can apply it where it needs to go without having excessive primer flow on the pipe and run around everywhere.

If you are doing a job that won't be inspected, you can use clear primer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks