Toto Promenade Fill Valve 2016?

Users who are viewing this thread

elgato

Reaction score
We have a Toto Promenade that is about 4 years old. The original fill valve looks a bit different from most that I have seen. It has a flat blade screw adjustment knob coming out of the top.
There are a lot of older threads recommending various versions of the Korky 528. GT, T, Pro, etc. and also the TSU99A.X.
Is there a valve that is already adjusted for the Promenade?
What is the current best replacement valve ?
Thank You

cst424-inside-tank.jpg

photo added by Terry Love
This tank was installed in 2016

Last edited by a moderator:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
As to refill ratio, maybe, depending on the version of the Promenade. As to height, no. Adjusting the height is no big deal.

The easiest, least-expensive way to do this is to just get the Korky 528MP anywhere. The one with the silver top. It's a simple installation, and it's a very good valve. I put it in all seven toilets in our country house and recently in a finicky toilet in the City (which solved its issues).

What your original valve looks like makes no difference when it comes to picking the "right" replacement. Toto used a couple of them interchangeably as original equipment for a long time, but settled on a version of the Korky 528 (which Korky was happy to put a Toto logo on) as their only, and universal, replacement valve. It sells for more than the 528MP, and is essentially-identical.

The one you have is a Voreto valve, made in China to a Toto design, which lots of people, me included, removed because they were noisy on shutoff and replaced with the Korky.

Korky has some good videos on how to do this 10-minute project. If you need it, let us know and I will post it for you. (Also available on YouTube.)

Last edited:

elgato

Reaction score
Wow,
Thanks for the fast response and the picture. That is the valve I have.
The local Toto dealer sells the TSU99A.X for $24.
So you guys recommend the 528MP over this one or the 528's that say they are
specifically for Toto? What about the "PRO" Terry mentioned in another post?
Thanks again. Guess I will go pick up an MP.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The local Toto dealer sells the TSU99A.X for $24.
So you guys recommend the 528MP over this one or the 528's that say they are
specifically for Toto? What about the "PRO" Terry mentioned in another post?

So, here's the deal. The white cap plain ol' 528 has a fixed 20 percent refill ratio. Not enough for your modern Toto, but perfect for old, old toilets. The blue cap 528T has a fixed 40 percent refill ratio. Perfect for most "S" (G-Max) Totos, too much for the E (1.28 gpf) ones, so water gets wasted.

The 528MP (with the silver cap; formerly called the "MaxPerformance," now called the "Platinum" but still numbered 528MP), the 528PRO (black cap) and the TSU99A.X (which also has a blue cap and is known by Korky as the 528GT) are essentially the same valve. Each has a variable bowl-refill adjuster. The primary difference is the color of the top, and whether it comes with Toto branding or is aimed at professional plumbers. I put a couple of PROs in where I wanted to make a good impression to anyone who would look at it later -- they couldn't tell my friend, "Oh, that's just a DIY-er product." I think that black cap looks nice. Is it worth the extra $8? Up to you. It's the same valve. Market segmentation.

I have white-cap 528s in several of our old toilets, 528Ts in our two G-Max 1.6gpf Drakes, a 528MP in our Carlyle II. I have put a couple of PROs in where I or a plumber I hired have helped out friends, and I have put silver-cap 528MPs in others. I have a PRO in the toilet in my rental apartment in the City, so anyone who looks inside will think some plumber (or at least a professional) did it.

Every one of the 528 flavors discussed above takes the R528 replacement cap, which contains the rubber-ish material that makes the seal that shuts off the water to the toilet when pressed upon by the float. I.e. the replaceable working part of the valve comes in only one version that fits all of them. It's about $3 and takes 5 minutes or less to change that cap when the valve "wears out" years from now. One part. No market segmentation.

So get whichever one you think looks nicest. Install it carefully and in accordance with the video, and you'll be in business.

One note. When you get to the part of the video where they talk about adjusting how much water goes into the bowl to refill it while the tank is refilling, the caption on the video gets it wrong -- you turn the little refill adjustment gizmo clockwise, to add more water to the refill, if the bowl doesn't refill enough. You turn it counterclockwise, to add less water to the refill, if the bowl fills up too much before the water shuts off. Easy peasy. What Jules says is correct. The caption is wrong.

Last edited:

elgato

Reaction score
I just installed the 528MP. It is quiet and fills reasonably fast. The bowl level seems fine at the full open position.
The big boxes here have a wall full of Fluidmasters and two or three Korkys.
Thanks for your help and time.

Reach4

Reaction score
I just installed the 528MP. It is quiet and fills reasonably fast. The bowl level seems fine at the full open position.
If you wanted to tune for least water usage that still fills the bowl, you could try cutting down the bowl fill until the water level is a bit lower than max. Then increase a tiny bit.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
If you wanted to tune for least water usage that still fills the bowl, you could try cutting down the bowl fill until the water level is a bit lower than max. Then increase a tiny bit.

This is probably obvious to you, but the water coming into the valve flows at a steady rate. If you divert 40% of it to refill the bowl, 60% goes into the tank. If you nudge the refill percentage back to what the Toto valve was probably set at, which is probably about 33%, the tank will refill a little faster, since a higher percentage of the water coming into the valve will go into the tank. For most uses, it really doesn't matter how long the tank takes to refill, unless you do a courtesy flush and then finish your business before the tank refills. But generally speaking, a little slower refill isn't noticed by anybody. Just because I tend to pay attention to these things, I do notice, and I have adjusted a couple of ours so that the bowl refill is really spot-on, because it gets the tank filled a little quicker.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks