Identifying issues with installing freestanding tub in basement

Users who are viewing this thread

Queen50

Reaction score
Need advice, please. We want to replace an acrylic one-piece shower with a freestanding tub in a basement bathroom. By removing an alcove wall and rerouting the pex water lines, we would have the space to place the tub utilizing the existing drain. (The drain lines are below grade.) The work would be done by a professional plumber.

Is this a viable option? What are the pitfalls?

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Sounds reasonable. The issue you may run into is whether or not there is enough drain pipe available (above the concrete) to attach (glue on, assuming your working with PVC or ABS pipe) the proper coupler for the tub's drain pipe to connect to. If the old shower base is removed and the drain pipe ends up flush to (or below) the concrete your going to need to chip away some concrete.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The new free standing tubs make for an interesting install.
The fill valve for some are independent and may need to be suppled with water from the slab. A lot depends on the brand of faucet you working with.
Draining the tub, may or may not be somewhat exposed depending on your tub.
Keep in mind, there is no going underneath to make a final connection. I did one tub where we left a hole in the kichen ceiling below and then had drywall done to fix the ceiling.

Queen50

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I thought some of the slab might need to come up. Looking at the faucets available, it looks like the pex water lines will need to be run under the slab as well. Oh, well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks