If a check valve drips a tiny bit is it useless?

Users who are viewing this thread

Garnet

Reaction score
I just got new check valve as pump kept losing prime. After stuggling ti get pump primed i took new valve back out and poured bit of water in it and it dribbled out. Took it back to store amd they said that was a faulty one and gave me another new one. I installed it and have water working for a couple of weeks. Just stopped working again, no prime, wont hold prime. This is the second new check valve it it has a bit of a drip. Is that enough to cause the issue? Why would a check valve go bad so fast?

Garnet

Reaction score
Its copper looking, from home hardware. Its a basic swing valve that i have installed horizontally with slight slope up to pump

Yar02169

Reaction score
Is there a suggested brand of check valve that's recommend? I now know that a swing valve is not advised, and I guess the Home Depot and "Blowes" offerings aren't thought of as "good".

Reach4

Reaction score

Yar02169

Reaction score
Is there a preference between stainless, bronze, or plastic (PVC)? E-Bay pricing is all over the place, but 1 1/2" valves can be found for around $50, but I don't know which material performs better.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
You shouldn't combine different metals. Use brass with brass, stainless with stainless etc... All brass sold after 1-1-2014 is required to be "lead free".

Personally, I like Flowmatic check valves & foot valves.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks