Tub drain shoe not level

Users who are viewing this thread

kacheln

Reaction score
Guys, would like some advice on this please.

I set my drain up for an alcove tub and everything has lined up pretty well, other than the drain shoe not being level. And I think this is due to the fact that the sanitary tee is not completely square (is that correct? is there a a built in angle to the sanitee to accomodate the 1/4" per foot drop?).

So I test fit my tub and it is not completely square to the tub drain ( I though the tub drain might have an angle to it, but doeasn't appear to) , I would say it is out of level by about 1/16" from one side to the other (front to back).

Sooo.....is this good enough? Should I maybe double up on gaskets and go with it?

I also could tear it all out, install my tub and then try to build everything through my access panel I cut to install the overflow.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Scott
20160716_134451.jpg
20160716_143935.jpg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
There is room for adjustment when cementing PVC, but all you can do once it is set is to use pressure to flex the piping a little bit if need be. The tub shoe and overflow need to line up to the tub and connect properly before connecting into the drain.

kacheln

Reaction score
Everything is lined up, the shoe just isn't completely square with the drain.
By about a 1/16th" - I think if I double up on the gasket it should compress enough........thoughts?
S

kacheln

Reaction score
I like to assemble the shoe and overflow to the tub first, glue the pipe and santee on, then I can remove the assembly knowing that it fits and is square to the tub.
I completely understand that now.....!
I tried tightening with the standard gasket (no putty or silicone) which I believe to be 1/8th thick and it leaks.
So I ordered a thicker gasket (3/8") but it is just too thick, do they make one that is just 1/4" thick? I think that would be just perfect. I would like to try that before tearing it all out again.
Thoughts?
thanks,
Scott

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I have never had any luck with plastic tub shoes, and for that reason I only use brass tub waste and overflow assemblies. Still, the assembly should be installed on the tub before the connection to the drain is made.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have never had any luck with plastic tub shoes, and for that reason I only use brass tub waste and overflow assemblies. Still, the assembly should be installed on the tub before the connection to the drain is made.

I use mainly plastic. The first one I installed back in prehistoric times leaked. After the first one, I changed my method.
It's cake now.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Cut the pipe at the straight section about where the floor height is - then glue in a coupler. This time level the shoe first and hold it in position until the solvent dries. Then when you install the overflow pipe, you align that correctly before the solvent dries.

kacheln

Reaction score
I will redo the drain shoe and santee.

I am curious about something though that I mentioned in my first post and no one commented on. ....to me after careful observation, it appears to me there is a slight angle to the santee (I assume to to help with the proper 1/4" per foot drop, so maybe 88 degrees?). On the other hand, the drain shoe fitting is completely square (90 degrees) So, when assembling, if you don't force the drain shoe square it will always naturally want to have a slight angle off square when assembled.

Is that correct??????

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you cut between the shoe and the santee, you can add a coupling there.
Assemble the shoe onto the tub first, then glue the back end of the drain assembly with the coupling.

kacheln

Reaction score
If you cut between the shoe and the santee, you can add a coupling there.
Assemble the shoe onto the tub first, then glue the back end of the drain assembly with the coupling.
That is what I will do, thanks.
Any tips on how to cut that square, left handed through my access panel?
thanks,
Scott

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
Try a PVC "cable saw" available for about $5 at your local blue box store (Brass Craft T410) - if you have enough room to loop the cable around the PVC pipe the cable saw might do the trick.

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
I like to assemble the shoe and overflow to the tub first, glue the pipe and santee on, then I can remove the assembly knowing that it fits and is square to the tub.
Rookie question. When you glue your overflow and waste to their fittings, how do you get the tee on? Is there enough play in the pipe?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Rookie question. When you glue your overflow and waste to their fittings, how do you get the tee on? Is there enough play in the pipe?

There is plenty of play for that if it's done before the tub is dropped in place. It is a bit tighter once the tub is in place, though my drain replacements always take place with the tub already installed. It's the lower shoe part that takes the drain that needs to be really square.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks