27 GPG, .4 PPM Iron, hydrogen sulfide present, 13GPM, 4-5 peeps 2 bathrooms

Users who are viewing this thread

john underwood

Reaction score
Howdy,

So the questions is water softener and iron filter or just 3.0 foot softer alone:

27 GPG
240 PPM Alkalinity
8 PH
.4 PPM Iron
.4 PPM Copper
Hydrogen Sulfide present but not horrible
No lead, iron bacteria, nitrates, nitrites
4-5 people
13 GPM

I have an Fleck now that is valve is hosed up but at this point I am sort of in the mood to start fresh.
Thanks for your input.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I have an Fleck now that is valve is hosed on
Did you mean to say "hosed up"?

3 cuft or 3.5 cuft softener preceded by a backwashing iron+H2S filter. I might go with a 2 cuft of Centaur Carbon or Katalox light for iron+H2S. Centaur Carbon works well for me. http://www.watchwater.com/systems/kl_system.php says for 10 GPM you would need 4 cuft of Katalox Light if you want 10 GPM flow, but probably they are overly cautious.

You could the initially skip the iron+H2S filter and tolerate the H2S for cash flow. Perhaps leave space for the iron+H2S filter.

I don't know about the copper removal actions of resin, CC or KL. My raw water copper is below the detection level of the test. The secondary Maximum Contaminate Level of copper is 1.3 ppm, and you are well below that. Secondary MCL of iron is 0.3.

I am not a pro.

john underwood

Reaction score
Yep that was a typo. I changed the motor on my valve but it did not last very long so I think it is time to start over.

The 13 GPM is what the well guy measured when he drilled it. It is in a gravel vein at 100' with the screen backed off to 90'.

Hey thanks for the tip! Turns out Katalox-lite will get the copper also.

It will be double what I planned to spend but putting that filter line first will treat three known issues so it seems like that is the play.

I am sure the softer alone would get that iron down below the MCL Do to physical challenges cleaning rust and scale on the plumbing fixtures is especially hard for my wife. I have been married long enough to know I will never be able to clean well enough to suit her so the best answer for both of us is to deal with it before it is a problem.

Reach4

Reaction score
I am sure the softer alone would get that iron down below the MCL Do to physical challenges cleaning rust and scale on the plumbing fixtures is especially hard for my wife. I have been married long enough to know I will never be able to clean well enough to suit her so the best answer for both of us is to deal with it before it is a problem.

Cool. Wait for some more input before determining a size for your Katalox Light based filter. With the iron gone, you could go to a 4 cubic ft softener for longer times between regens, but it would not be necessary.

Regarding GPM, there are two numbers. What you will consume all at once, and what you will consume while backwashing. For 1.5 cuft of Katalox light, that should have about 7 or 8 GPM of backwash (10 to 15 GPM per square ft cross section)-- more than the data sheet says. The backwash rate is in terms of GPM per square ft cross section.... The backwash rate for a softener is less than for the KL filter.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The wells flow rate does not mean you have to match the systems flow rate. It is primarily used to determine the maximum backwash rates of any given system. This is very important when working with certain medias like Filox, Pyrolox, KDF etc. Katalox light does have a lower backwash rate but please remember, backwash rate is heavily affected by temperature. The literature may give a certain number, but the actual backwash rate needs to be temperature compensated. As Reach stated above, a general range of 10 (Cold Water) to 15 (not cold water) is typical. If you have warmer water, higher flow rates may be necessary. Same goes for very cold water, lower flow rates bay be needed.

KL tends to work under your conditions very well. Higher pH is good for iron reduction. I would typically go a little bigger with iron removal systems than most people would to help ensure adequate reduction of iron. Assuming your backwash rates are proper, you should do well with a 2 CF system. As to the softener, a 2.5 cf system or even a 3 cf system should be good. Larger systems are typically not used if they can be avoided, a twin alternating system tends to be preferred in place of excessively large systems.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks