Electric water heater pressure relief valve into discharge tube problem

Users who are viewing this thread

kenzo42

Reaction score
I can't remove the Ariston electric heating unit without cutting off the discharge pipe.

Why did the plumber sweat the entire discharge tube (one solid piece) so it can't be easily serviced in the future?

Can I use compression fittings and replacement copper piping after I make the cut?

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There may be an unsoldered fitting below the 90 there.
If not, cut the pipe and reconnect. They do make unions for that. Often, unless it's the exact same unit, you need to make corrections to the piping.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
With all of the fittings on there, it looks like it has already been replaced at least once. It's not uncommon to have to cut the pipe to be able to unscrew the T&P valve, either to replace it if it failed, or to replace the WH.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Simplest way is to cut the pipe, use new coupling and solder it up. No point in compression fitting or union. You don't need fancy or high tech. This is one place galvanized pipe would have been acceptable. Not suggest you replace this copper now, just saying.

Widgit Maker

Reaction score
Cut out old and replace with this.
It is a bent plastic tube with a flair fitting. About $7.00
Wter drain tube.jpg

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most plastics are not rated for the potential high water/steam temperature. No idea what the rating on that pipe is. It would need a certification inspection rating to be used for that application.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks