Power vent, efficient motor?

Users who are viewing this thread

ls3c6

Reaction score
I just purchased a home and it has a late 2003 40gal bradford white power vent unit. I did remove the aerators and found some black specs that feel plasticy... I assume the anode rod is deteriorating.

I replaced the thermostat because regulation seemed to be a problem, now set at 130f and seems consistent and the unit has a blanket on it. It's probably R8 or less?

However, my last home did not have a power vent, I have noticed the motor on this unit uses ~140w in operation, i've emailed AO Smith / Bradford White looking for either a more efficient motor retrofit or a whole new unit to reduce electricity consumption. They gave me answers like "ours use less than 12 amps" :/

Does anyone know of a high efficiency 40 gal power vent unit that uses less amps and may also have better efficiency in general or just leave this one in place until it pukes?

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not a pro. I believe in flushing (not just draining) water heaters every several years. I believe in replacing anodes. I have a powered anode that does not need replacing. I expect to move it to my next WH.

Black specks? If you don't have a whole house water sediment filter, specks can come in from the water main.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
You have to be either retired with too much time on your hands or completely nuts...
I have never , ever had anyone actually ask me about how efficient the fan is on the power vent
water heater....... that is a new one....

Leave it alone and dont fool with it.......Wait till it finally dies some day and then you can get
yourself a brand new 2016 one to tinker with........

throw a new blanket on the new one it and that is about as much as you are gonna squeeze out of one...

Now, if you really want to save some big $$ and energy, just take the plastic chimney off the unit and
let the heat from that power vent heat the house......

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Power=volts*amps. It would mean that they are running the motor at 12v with 12A to need 144W. Much more likely that it runs off of the supply voltage, maybe 120vac or 240vac, and then, 14x@W would be only a little over 1A.

The thing needs to move moderate amount of air, and that takes power. Not sure you could end up with a smaller one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks