Why oh Why...WH pilot light going out.

Users who are viewing this thread

RustyKnuckles

Reaction score
Why does my friend's natural gas water heater keep going out? It's 8 years old. I've re-lit it twice in the last 3 days. It's not overly windy. The water heater is in a separate metal closet outside the house. Any ideas?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
At 8-years old, it probably doesn't have the vapor flame prevention system, but make sure that there's not a buildup of dust or lint blocking the air intake. There's a thermocouple in there that tells the gas valve that the pilot light is on, and if it is dirty, corroded, or out of position, or the pilot itself is not generating the right-sized flame, that may mean the thermocouple isn't producing the required voltage for the gas valve to operate. It could also be the gas valve itself is shot. The owner's manual should give you some troubleshooting tips. If you don't have it, you can probably find a copy online.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Start with changing the thermo couple, keep in mind that a new one should sit in exact same position as old one with the same distance to the pilot flame.

Widgit Maker

Reaction score
Does this water heater have a thermocouple or does it have a flame sensor? Does it have a closed combustion chamber with filters for combustion air?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
wh-pilot-out.jpg

Recent pictures from a water heater.

wh-pilot-on.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks