Best way to go from 1" bypass to 3/4 pex

Users who are viewing this thread

adayrider

Reaction score
Title says it all. My new 7000 sxt bypass is 1" male and my plumbing is 3/4 pex, so what fitting would work best with as little restriction and such.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Maybe one of these:

upload_2016-2-11_7-35-43.jpeg

Google "3/4 pex to 1" fpt" for 41,999 other suggestions.

i.e.

upload_2016-2-11_8-11-19.png

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Order the 3/4" plastic 7000 connectors and (2) 3/4" FIP x 3/4" John Guest Falcon Stainless connectors. Simple and clean.

adayrider

Reaction score
Thanks alot dittohead, I did not relise I could buy the connectors like that.
Can someone tell me if the hatch 5b test works on hot water?
I tested my water and cold turns blue in 1 drop. So since I have 105 gallons of hot water thought I would test it after our showers this morning, and it tests at 10-11 (same as before softner install).
If it does work on hot water, should I drain my hot tanks or just let them purge themselves?

Reach4

Reaction score
If it does work on hot water, should I drain my hot tanks or just let them purge themselves?
If you are in a hurry, you could drain. If you drain, it would be a good time to flush your WH at the same time.

adayrider

Reaction score
I can't say I'm in that big of a hurry. I take it from your response that the hatch works on hot water. I think I will test again the morning and see if I make any progress .
How do you recommend flushing?

Reach4

Reaction score
I can't say I'm in that big of a hurry. I take it from your response that the hatch works on hot water. I think I will test again the morning and see if I make any progress .
How do you recommend flushing?
I don't know how the Hach works on hot water. I suspect fine, but I don't know. If you put the hot water into the bottle, it will not be hot water in 20 minutes.

Flushing can be done different ways. The simplest is to
1. Turn off the water, and put the WH in vacation mode, if it has one. Otherwise off.
2. Drain the WH completely.
3. Turn the water supply on fully for a few seconds, and turn off. You are trying to cause turbulence to the bottom of the tank.
4. Do steps 2 and 3 several times. If you have a way to monitor the drained water, you could judge by what you are getting out.
5. Turn the water and WH back on. Open a nearby hot tap to let the air out.

If you stop right there, you will be way ahead of most people. Now you can make it more complex, as I did. You can pull the anode, and use that hole to blast water alternating with the WH supply. You can put a 3/4 NPT nipple in place of the drain valve temporarily, or you can put a full port ball valve permanently in place instead of the regular drain valve. That probably over-doing it. If I had a small electric pressure washer, I might have inserted the wand and turn the device on for a bit. I did not have one.

After the first few times with steps 2 and 3, I drained into a tub and used a utility pump to circulate back up to the anode hole via filter. The stuff I got out was very impressive. I did this after having filtering put in, so I know new rocks and sand will not be there. The black stuff -- I put in a powered anode, so that seems less likely. I did the recirc to limit how much water I added to the septic in a short time. I happened to have the utility pump and filter handy. Otherwise I would not have done that.

adayrider

Reaction score
Update-
Hatch 5b seems to work just fine on hot and cold water.
I drained 1 tank and it brought my hot water down to 4 - 5 and then 2 after a days use.
Thanks alot guys

Bannerman

Reaction score
Since heat causes the minerals comprising hardness to precipitate from the water, they will collect on surfaces so your water heater and associated piping will have a coating of calcium and magnesium (scale) within them. The amount of scale is dependant on various factors including the level of hardness, water pH, temp, etc. Now that you have a softener, that scale will slowly dissolve back into the water so expect to experience elevated levels of hardness in the hot water until the scale is eventually all dissolved.

Dittohead recently posted a very graphic example of scale buildup in a water heater tank. I attempted to locate it but can't recall which thread it was in.

Reach4

Reaction score
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks