Behind wall water leak Tub/Shower Mixer

Users who are viewing this thread

rick2995

Reaction score
Scenario: My home built in '70s, with craw-space Issue is water-leakage at mixer. Tub/Shower fixture is likely original which is a Moen Single Handle Pull Push/Turn. No leakage at Shower-head or Sprout. From Crawl-Space I can view supply-lines up until there are fished through the 2x4, NO Leakage when handle is in the Off Position. Leakage When handle is in On-position Cold-water, there is a steady-drip. At the Hot-Position the drips are less but are constant, same as when the diverter is in Shower position.
  • Question: Is the issue likely caused by the Moen cartridge.

rick2995

Reaction score
It could be the cartridge, or the tub diverter spout.
Hello Terry Thank you for the advise. In the event the cartridge is the issue Are the cartridges universal... let's say I find a 1125 or what ever in the mixer..and the best available cartridge in-town is a 1200 or so.. Will I be good to go with the higher numbered cartridge..?
Thank you
Rick

rick2995

Reaction score
Hello Terry and hj .. After removing the "Plate" and enlarging the openig to view the plumbing Mixer valve, I ran Cold followed by Hot with the Shower Deverter in Tub position and No Leaks observed, I then ppulled-Up on diverter valve for Shower-mode and "leakage" at the male inlet to the Mixer. Whats occurring is with the Shower in operation water pressure build-up at the mixer. ( No leaks from the Moen Cartridge or the Spout)
The Opening to the mixer is 4" circumferance with Ceramic-Tile surface. I hope you tell me a "Plumber can do the Job " without the need to ng to remove Tiles, morter and backing.. At bottom of mixer where inlet meets the mixer is the famous leak.
Moen Mixer Valve  1970ish.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks