Adding new drain into sewer line

Users who are viewing this thread

garrett1812

Reaction score
I am installing a new water softener, originally planning to drain it into a nearby floor drain, which feeds into an ejector pit, which contains a sump pump feeding into a horizontal sewer drain. I have read recently, however, the salt water is not good for the pump. Instead, could I add a new drain onto this horizontal sewer line at the same point the sump pump joins it?

I expect it would look like this? Replace the elbow with a T (or sanitary T? or wye?) to connect the sump pump and also connect a standpipe with trap and airgap device.

Is this a good approach? Is there a better approach?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3236.JPG
    IMG_3236.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_3237.JPG
    IMG_3237.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 541
  • IMG_3237_1.JPG
    IMG_3237_1.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 438

Reach4

Reaction score
I suspect there may be enough pressure to blow out of the standpipe if you do that.

1. Where does that pipe you are considering tapping into go? If it goes to the sewer, I wonder why it did not feed into the big sewer pipe.

2. What is the other pipe into the pit? Is that a vent?

3. Do you have septic or city sewer?

I am not a pro.

garrett1812

Reaction score
See picture below for where the pipe ends up. This is further down the basement, to the right if viewing the second/third pictures in the original post.

The other pipe leaving the pit is a vent.

I am on city sewer service.

I realize now this might just make the sump pump out into the standpipe. Would a check valve prevent this?

Attachments

• IMG_3239.JPG
    IMG_3239.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 889
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks