Shower Drain leaking after exuberant cleaning!

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
there's no way to get your arm down the channel beside the drain to tighten the nut by hand.
When I was agreeing earlier with Smooky about replacing the drain, I assumed that this shower may have been on a 2nd floor, and you could access it from underneath with a hole in the drywall ceiling.

Now I am wondering how you are going to fasten the new nut that is supposed to be where "there's no way to get your arm down the channel beside the drain".

This showerpan is short of being ripped out the next time it gives you a problem, so this is what I would do:

Without the nut, use loads of Schluter Kerdi-Fix and drop that drain onto the pan. Kerdi-Fix takes a while to dry, so continue working by stuffing the calk gasket thingie in-between the drain and neck, exactly like how you pulled the old one out. Instead of lubing the calk, smear it with Kerdi-Fix instead, that will slip it up.

Kerdi-Fix is pretty cool and robust stuff, if you can avoid stepping on the drain, I'm 75% sure this won't give you any problems for another 5 years. You have your iphone on a selfie stick to inspect annually to forsee any future problems.

Steve42

Reaction score
Now I am wondering how you are going to fasten the new nut that is supposed to be where "there's no way to get your arm down the channel beside the drain".

I know there's been a lot of conversation in this thread, so I don't expect everyone to have read it all, but I am following the advice others have given and installing a BruCo Easy Install Shower Drain, so there won't be a nut to install below. I linked to the manufacturer's installation video previously. The contractor who installed this shower did us no favors in the methods, so this is the only way without ripping out the shower entirely.

Reaction score
I know there's been a lot of conversation in this thread, so I don't expect everyone to have read it all
Oh I did read it all, and I was going with what Terry had recommended.

According to the instructions, BruCo wants you to use their cute little tube of silicone to glue their drain down to your pan. This is the same as I explained above, but with Kerdi-Fix being the better product over silicone. There's a reason why Schluter does NOT sell nor teach their contractors to silicone any wet room installs.

The BruCo appears to create a 'sharkbite' around the pvc neck, which appears to choke it as those little (assumed STAINLESS) screws tighten, but that is not necessary if a calk (not same as caulk) gasket is wedged good as Terry put it, doublegood if Kerdi-Fixed.

Good luck!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks