Compact Elongated Toilet Recommendations?

Users who are viewing this thread

Kevin Koch

Reaction score
I recently decided it was time to update my who-knows-how-old no-name round toilet with a modern, elongated model. I never imagined choosing a toilet would be so involved!! Wow! I'm a little overwhelmed, to say the least, and I'm hoping someone here might be able to recommend the right toilet for me.

Space is a concern since my bathroom isn't that large, so I'm looking for a compact elongated toilet. Current round toilet is about 26.5" from wall, but the (huge) tank is right on the wall (no space at all) due to my stupid 11.25" rough-in. I can push the overall length out to about 28" max, but that would be from the wall with no space behind the tank. I like the looks of a one-piece toilet, but a two-piece would be fine as well. I like the idea of a dual-flush, but it's not a deal breaker. I prefer a more modern look. Skirted would be nice, but I'll admit, I'm a little hesitant to install any sort of adapter on my slab floor. It's not that I'm not handy, I've got a hammer drill and tapcons and I've drilled into my slab before, I just think it would be so much easier just to drop a replacement toilet in place...but if y'all think a toilet that requires an adapter is really that much better, I'm open to tackling the job. I'm really not sure if I should go with a 12" rough-in (pretty sure current toilet is 12", but like I said, it is right against the wall) or a 10" rough-in. I would prefer minimal to no space between tank and wall. My supply is about 7" on center from pipe to trapway, and it sticks out 4.25" from wall to very end of water valve handle. So I guess step one is determine what rough-in is going to work. I know some 12" rough-in toilets can be fudged to fit as little as 11.25", I just need to be certain it's going to fit before I order anything. I'm looking to spend up to $400 or so, and I'll be installing it myself.

Anyone have any experience with Duravit toilets? I really like the looks of a lot of them, and it appears many of their skirted models can just be dropped on a standard closet flange with no adapter. I like a lot of the Toto toilets, (Aquia, Ultramax, Ultimate, Eco-Supreme), the AS Compact Cadet 3 isn't bad, but I'm open to any and all suggestions. Most important things are that it fits my rough-in and doesn't stick out from the wall more than 28".

There seems to be a wealth of knowledge on this forum, so I'm really hoping someone can help me out. Thanks!!

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
American Standard's Cadet 3 is a GREAT toilet, and can be had at a reasonable price. Gerber's Avalanche is also available in ADA-height compact elongated (model 21-014) and is 26.75" back to front. Their one-piece Avalanche (model 21-019) is skirted, doesn't require an adapter and is 27.5" deep. Both of these toilets rough in at 12" and are WaterSense (1.28 GPF certified).

Kevin Koch

Reaction score
American Standard's Cadet 3 is a GREAT toilet, and can be had at a reasonable price. Gerber's Avalanche is also available in ADA-height compact elongated (model 21-014) and is 26.75" back to front. Their one-piece Avalanche (model 21-019) is skirted, doesn't require an adapter and is 27.5" deep. Both of these toilets rough in at 12" and are WaterSense (1.28 GPF certified).

Thanks! The AS Compact Cadet 3 1-piece (2403.128) is available to order at Home Depot for a reasonable price, and I like the idea of ordering from a local source in case I do need to return it. It looks like this model allows for 5/8" (+/- 1/4") between tank and wall, do you think this could be made to work with my 11.25" rough-in? It may actually be more like 11.375", but I'm going with 11.25" just to be safe. I'm not exactly sure what they mean by +/- 1/4".

I do really like that Gerber Avalanche 1-piece, but I think it's a bit out of my price range and it doesn't seem to be all that readily available. It does allow for an inch behind the tank, so it would certainly work on my goofy rough-in, and the skirted design that doesn't require an adapter makes it almost exactly what I'm looking for, but sadly, it's just a bit too pricey for me. I'd say $450 is my absolute max, but of course, I'd like to get the least expensive toilet that fits the bill.

It looks like the Duravit toilets that I really like, at least according to the spec sheets I've looked at, are designed to go right up against the wall, perhaps in keeping with the clean, modern lines, That would mean there is no chance of any of them working with my rough-in...so you really do need at least 12" to use the Duravit toilets. Can anyone confirm that?

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
Thanks! The AS Compact Cadet 3 1-piece (2403.128) is available to order at Home Depot for a reasonable price, and I like the idea of ordering from a local source in case I do need to return it. It looks like this model allows for 5/8" (+/- 1/4") between tank and wall, do you think this could be made to work with my 11.25" rough-in? It may actually be more like 11.375", but I'm going with 11.25" just to be safe. I'm not exactly sure what they mean by +/- 1/4".

I do really like that Gerber Avalanche 1-piece, but I think it's a bit out of my price range and it doesn't seem to be all that readily available. It does allow for an inch behind the tank, so it would certainly work on my goofy rough-in, and the skirted design that doesn't require an adapter makes it almost exactly what I'm looking for, but sadly, it's just a bit too pricey for me. I'd say $450 is my absolute max, but of course, I'd like to get the least expensive toilet that fits the bill.

It looks like the Duravit toilets that I really like, at least according to the spec sheets I've looked at, are designed to go right up against the wall, perhaps in keeping with the clean, modern lines, That would mean there is no chance of any of them working with my rough-in...so you really do need at least 12" to use the Duravit toilets. Can anyone confirm that?
Faucetshark (dot com) has the one-piece Avalanche 21-019 for $399.70, but there's about $100 added for shipping. From my own perspective, if you really like the Gerber and you have only one bathroom and, for most people, the toilet is not something you upgrade like you would with your car (meaning that you probably don't intend to replace it for at least 20 years), I'd give up the extra $50 to get the one with everything I want.

I notice that you're in Wisconsin and if you're anywhere near Chicago, Gerber is readily available there. It would also be worth your while to check with your local hardware stores, if any, to get their prices on special ordering for you. Though not the 21-019, The Home Depot offers Gerber products on their website. Could be that they can order it. Good luck with it!!!

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
Thought I'd also mention that, even though they are two-piece models, The Home Depot carries the Cadet 3 Decor Right Height 2-piece 1.28 GPF Single Flush Elongated Toilet (AS Model #715AA.001.020) for $269.00, and Lowe's has the American Standard Clean 1.28-GPF WaterSense Toilet (AS Model #2514.101.020) for $239.00. I've seen Lowe's run this model on sale for $179. Both are skirted versions of the Right Height elongated Cadet 3, and the close-coupled tank-to-bowl make them almost appear to be one-piece models.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks