Propane torch has wonky flame issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Tbbarch

Reaction score
I was having trouble getting fittings hot enough to melt solder.
The torch is a Bernzomatic propane tank and a Turner manually ignited solid brass nozzle/valve.

I disassembled the nozzle and spray tip cleaning both with alcohol. I needed serious magnification to see that the orifice was clear.
When I relight the torch I get the 1" long flame I remember prior to the soldering problem.

ISSUE:
I bump the torch on anything - not hard - and the flame recedes back to where it will not heat.

I disassembled the entire nozzle/valve assembly again (excepting the rubber fittings but they look solid) and cleaned, including blowing out all the orifices with computer grade compressed air.
Now the flame will not even come ON strong and the propane does not cut off cleanly.
When I tap the nozzle arm while the torch is lit I see several small sparks. I am unable to scrub inside the nozzle.

There are no loose parts in the valve assembly!!

Any idea what is going on?
My only suspension is the actual valve needle, though how bumping the nozzle affects the valve is beyond me.

I'm ready to immerse all the loose parts in vinegar with hopes of improving the situation.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IT sounds like the filter screen in the nozzle is obstructed and not letting the gas flow through it, and this also slows down the gas after you close the valve so it continues to burn until the pressure is used up.

QueBall

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

Tbbarch

Reaction score
Cleaning did no good.
The idea that there is something in the screen makes sense.
But the screen in the Turner valve/nozzle is crimped in place. If there is something between the jet and the screen I can't get at it.
Sense Turner is out of business or just not on-line for this product anymore - I give up.

I seemed that for such a simple valve made of solid brass it would be serviceable.

I have bought a new Bernzomatic UL2317 valve/nozzle.
It has a great flame.

Reaction score
If you were going to buy a new head, you really should have went with Queball's recommendation of the trigger start one. It saves so much time because you can quickly re-ignite it with the same hand if the flame goes out.

Really good trigger heads will also turn the gas off if you let it go, making it much safer to operate.

Tbbarch

Reaction score
Good points.

I like simple though. There is less to break. I also do not do this type of work all the time so the time saving is minimal.
In tight spaces I often am changing hands to move the torch from one side of a joint to the other. I suppose that just means squeezing the trigger again each time. Though I suppose that also means I have to hold the torch by the trigger making some operation more dangerous because they are awkward.

I find safety to be more a state of mind - think safety - and do not expect equipment to take care of it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks