Need help solving a sink valve space issue

Users who are viewing this thread

MK_Chicago

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am trying to install a new new bathroom sink faucet and running into some issues with the cold water supply. The issue is that the valve outlet is facing horizontally and because the hot water supply is right next to it, I can't bend the supply line enough to connect to it. I had thought to try to do some type of 90 degree adapter so that the valve output was facing upward however I couldn't find anything that was just a normal 90 degree female input/male output so I purchased this type of adapter.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_273075-143-K2040LF_0__?productId=3191087

Because this has the extra output, I purchased the following cap:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_645761-72906-61CP-6X+P_0__?productId=50380858

The adapter fits the space fine but the issues I am having is that I can't get it to work without water dripping from the cap. I have tried with teflon tape without any luck.

I live in a condo without a water shut off for my specific unit (have to turn off water for entire building) so unfortunately I can't do the easy thing which is to reinstall the original valve with the output facing upward instead of to the side.

Questions:

1. Is there an adapter that would work for just a 90 degree turn without having to add an additional output? If so, can someone please link me to one?

2. If not, is there a better cap or a way to get the leaking to stop?

Thanks!

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_0186.JPG
    IMG_0186.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 222

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The hose has a gasket in it and the use of tape on the threads WILL USUALLY cause it to leak. A compression fitting will also leak if there's any tape that gets caught on the sealing surfaces...NEITHER ONE NEEDS TAPE! Tape is ONLY typically used, and required, on tapered pipe fittings.

You need two wrenches, one to hold the fitting and a second one to turn the nut. If assembled without tape and tight enough (0vertightening the hose with the gasket can be problematic), and it should work fine.

MK_Chicago

Reaction score
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the reply. I just tried reattaching everything without the tape, including the cap. Unfortunately even with no tape and tightened as recommended, I am still getting a leak at the cap. My next thought was to try using a rubber ring or washer in the cap. I have read on other forums people have tried this with success.

Last edited:

MK_Chicago

Reaction score
Unfortunately I can't rotate it without shutting off the water for the whole building.

I added a rubber washer into the cap and it seems to have stopped the leak. It looks like problem solved.

Thanks for all the help!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You could rotate it by lightly loosening the retaining nut, turning the valve AND its retaining nut at the same time then tightening the retainer again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks