Clack WS1 not metering

Users who are viewing this thread

Robbversion1

Reaction score
Bought a house about a year ago that came with a Clack WS1 water softener. Noticed right away that the water meter function does not work. It always sits at 1363 gallons left. Since the meter doesnt work I have to sit the softener to recharge at intervals which is not effecient.

When water is running you can hear the impeller spinning but there is never a change on screen. I'm guessing at this point the only 2 items that can be malfunctioning are either the meter or the board. I can swap both out myself for about $150 ($50 meter, $100 board) , but why switch out something that is still working.

I know I can call a professional, but I can imagine the price to service the softener would probably come out more then if I replaced the part myself. Are there any tests I can run to figure out which one is the culprit?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Usually the meter, rarely the board. Replace it first,
You shouldn't hear the meter, sounds like it is showing some wear and tear.

ENIGMA-2

Reaction score
You could try moving a small magnet past the pickup sensor. It should cause the meter to register a change. If so, the control and harness are ok and the turbine (impeller) would be suspect.
If it doesn't, it's possible that the harness is defective or the connections are corroded.

Not certain about the WS1, but on my sensor, it takes 200 revs to equal one gallon; so you would need to flick the magnet back and forth several times to get the meter to move.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks