Boring/notching question

Users who are viewing this thread

plan4

Reaction score
I need to run a 2" drain pipe approximately 10' in an interior 2x6 load bearing wall. I have several questions:

1. The hole required would exceed the 40% max diameter. I believe I can use stud shoes to be in compliance, but I want to make sure I'm understanding that correctly.

2. What if I were to notch the studs instead? I would be way over the 20% maximum for a load bearing stud. What is the maximum notch percentage allowable in a load bearing wall when a stud shoe is used?

3. The other possible route for the pipe is outside the wall, but this would require boring a 3" hole in a 2x8 floor joist where it intersects the load bearing wall. This would be fine, except that the required pitch of the pipe would mean that the hole would only be located 1" from the bottom edge of the joist. Is there a code compliant way to reinforce that? It would save me boring through 10 load bearing studs.

Thanks for your help.

Ps. I am located in Maine, which I believe uses 2000 UPC.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks