13-Inch Rough In Question for Toto Soirée

Users who are viewing this thread

Tom N

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

We're installing a new powder room downstairs, and I have a question about the rough-in dimensions after taking some measurements tonight. NOTE: I won't see the plumbing contractor - or the GC - for a couple days.

The rough-in is 13" from the center of the outlet pipe to the back of the wall (not to the molding). I read about the rough-ins needing to be EXACTLY 10", 12", or 14" for the toilet to sit/operate right. If I put the 12-inch Unifit on this rough-in, will the toilet just still off the wall by 1"? Is this acceptable or should I move the drain pipe back so that the rough-in is 12"?

This is 1st-floor bathroom that I have access to underneath, but I would prefer not to do that...also, please excuse the questions if I"m just thick.

ALSO: I think I'll have to put a Dahl valve on this to accommodate the Soirée (Terry said it needs just 5.5"). If the toilet sticks off an inch, would that allow additional room for the valve?

Thanks,

tom

Attachments

• IMG_4760.jpg
    IMG_4760.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 698

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
If you use the 12" unifit on a 13" rough-in, the toilet will work fine. You will just have an extra inch behind the tank, so somewhere around 1.75 inches between tank and wall (it's usually about 3/4" between tank and wall on this toilet).

The Dahl is a nice idea. The extra inch will make the space a little less tight for the valve. If you have a full 6", the toilet should slide in next to the pipe, but you at least want a quarter-turn valve with a teeny handle (like the Dahl has) so that you can turn it without hitting the base of the toilet. But candidly any quarter-turn valve with a small handle might work. If you point the Dahl to the left, and get the one where the outlet points vertically, then your hose would run more or less straight up to the connection on the toilet. Not exactly, but close.

Reach4

Reaction score
The rough-in is 13" from the center of the outlet pipe to the back of the wall (not to the molding). I read about the rough-ins needing to be EXACTLY 10", 12", or 14" for the toilet to sit/operate right. If I put the 12-inch Unifit on this rough-in, will the toilet just still off the wall by 1"? Is this acceptable or should I move the drain pipe back so that the rough-in is 12"?
First, no measurement is quite exact, and a lot of things are not that close. It is doubtful that your 13 inch measurement is 13.00 inches, for example.

How thick is that baseboard? A skirted toilet fits pretty far back at the bottom. I am not confident that a Soiree base is not going to be bumping that baseboard if the baseboard is really thick. I think 1.5 inches thick might be such that you will want to measure better. You might glance through https://terrylove.com/forums/index....t-less-with-baseboard-and-shoe-molding.58080/ for some ideas and info.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Reach4 is right, you can't do anything without getting the toilet first. You can make all the measurements you want, but you need to see the real deal to know how to handle this.

That rough just might clear the side of the toilet. Even if it almost touches it, that is fine. Your toilet isn't going to be vibrating with hammering pipes.

If the toilet does hit your rough, you're going to be cutting it and installing a dalh valve exactly as you see in the other thread. To gain more space, instead of using an edgy elbow fitting as in the pic, find one that is rounded. You might need that extra 1/4" it will give.
toto_dahl_valve.jpg

dahl-toto-angle-stop.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
You might want to check out Dahl's pdf catalog which contains hundreds of valve choices.

The partricular Dahl seen in that pic is the Dahl supply stop E53-2386-A, which comes with the elbow as a combo sku.

That doesn't mean you have to use it.

Anyone can build their own Dahl by choosing their own valve separately and own elbow, exactly as I implied.
611-01-31.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
At six inches off center, it's likely that a standard compression stop on the 1/2" copper will work fine.
I like using a 1/4 turn mainly because the handles are smaller when it's tight like that. Well, that and you don't have a bonnet nut that can leak.

ms642-terrylove-16.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks