Error Code on AO Smith FPSH 50 270E

Users who are viewing this thread

JR Sneeringer

Reaction score
My 12 yr old hot water heater goes through a number of attempts to light the burner, sometimes it works and sometime it doesn't. This started happening a few weeks ago. The panel displays an error code that corresponds to:
(1st light and A&B)
ERROR CODE 6 - IGNITION / FLAME FAILURE
I've cleaned the sensor well, but the error continued. I went ahead and purchased a new glo-stick and flame sensor assembly to replace the old one. Unfortunately, this still has not resolved the issue.
Before I call a professional, is there anything else I should check that would cause this issue?

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
I gu;ess that this is a power vent heater?? their can be a pressure switch on some of them but
i dont know what exactly would be on a 12 year old one... The newer ones have been problematic with
the spark ignitor getting charred up.... 12 years out is not something a lot of plumbers are going to
be able to get parts for .....

Before you throw a bunch of money at
repairing one consider the fact its 12 years old.....
You would probably be wiser to buy a new Rheem power vent for about 950
and swap it out....yourself...

Getting a plumber out there who claims they can repair it
will probably cost you half that much adn the heater could
still break down and start leaking next spring.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks