How to emptying water from drain pan under washing machine?

Users who are viewing this thread

h_loyali

Reaction score
I know for a fact that these do Suck, in a good way. I have one. It works very good.

http://www.sears.ca/product/craftsman-md-45l-wet-dry-vacuum/609-000017871-113-3-296150C

It will get heavy very quick, Keep that in mind.

You you can hook a drain hose to the tank to drain it. Turn it off first ! Read the manual before use.

For sucking up water the way you want, A smaller hose would work a bit better, Because the big hose will suck more air than water when the hose can not stay full of water, and the hose will weigh a bunch when full. But the big hose will work ok.

Like Terry was saying those pans are made to drain outside.

It should suck 6 Gallons in less than 60 seconds. If you have the voltage and power to feed it. No extension cord should be used.

Do you live upstairs by chance ? No real Landry room ? Running for president ?

Good Luck.

OK. Thanks I'm living in 3rd floor . So you are saying that a 10 gallon Vac with 5 HP may work for me and prevent water from overflowing of drain pan? ( expensive options :D)

If I think about pump , which pump works better? a washing machine's drain pump removes how many GPH?

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
a washing machine's drain pump removes how many GPH?

I would guess around 15 GPM or so.

Look in your manual, Is should tell the discharge rate of your model.

You could time it, see how long it takes to fill a 1 gal bucket, then do the math.

Good Luck.

h_loyali

Reaction score
Company haven't mentioned how many gallon per hours it can discharge or I couldn't find it! but:

Haier WD-5470-09 PUMP
with 1 1/2" hose is my washing machine drain pump .

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
How about a bigger tub underneath rather than a shallow pan? You could fabricate a stand to elevate the washer high enough to allow the door to open if your washer was front load. If it is top load, elevation would be optional.

Elevating could be something built with wood, or it could be 4 suitable blocks in the tub.

1 cubic foot is 7.48 gallons. I don't know how many gallons could come out of your washer, but the tub could maybe be the same footprint as the current tub but twice as high. Maybe your current pan would have held the water if you had just plugged up the drain. Do the math. In that case, you could just plug the hole and use a slow pump to empty it in the rare case that it gets water.

It could be that the problem would not have occurred if the drain line on your current tank had not failed. You could replace that with a stronger bulkhead fitting and stronger hose, and continue to use the current pan. I expect the fittings made for water tanks are more durable.

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
Company haven't mentioned how many gallon per hours it can discharge or I couldn't find it! but:

with 1 1/2" hose is my washing machine drain pump .

That pump uses Magnetic impeller coupling, and the flow rate may be around 5 gallons per Minute Max.

Just a guess on my part.

If lint gets in the impeller it stops turning and just hums.

Good Luck. I hope you have flood insurance, and are allowed to have those up stairs.

h_loyali

Reaction score
Thanks for your answers. I will think about it and will decide get a Vac or Pump or nothing :D

just one thing: I'm curious , In washing machine if its drain pump get damaged , water will leak or it discharge all water? when all water will come out of tube of washing machine?

* If all water come of the tube only when drain hose come off , so with turning off the washing machine , drain pump will stop pumping and I won't face any overflowing
otherwise in other circumstance if 7-8 gallons come out , It is a MUST to buy or choose one of those expensive ways.

That pump uses Magnetic impeller coupling, and the flow rate may be around 5 gallons per Minute Max.
Just a guess on my part.
If lint gets in the impeller it stops turning and just hums.
Good to know that , Thanks. So a 500 GPH water pump ( like this

can handle the water ,transfer it to sink and prevent from overflowing water of pan!?

Reach4

Reaction score
I just thought of a really low tech standby plan for the unlikely event that your bulkhead connector breaks off again. First, turn off the washer. Second, stick a rubber stopper/cork into the drain hole in the pan. Then you can accept water all of the way to the top.

New water will probably stop after you turn off the washer, but maybe you need to also turn off the supply water. In any case, if you have the emergency cork standing by, you can minimize the immediate problem and empty the pan at leisure.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It seems to me the OP is paranoid about a hose to the washer breaking. First of all, a quality hose will last for years. Secondly, if you are so concerned, why not just turn the water to the wash off when it's in use? That's a good practice anyway.

DonL

Reaction score
Thanks for your answers. I will think about it and will decide get a Vac or Pump or nothing :D

just one thing: I'm curious , In washing machine if its drain pump get damaged , water will leak or it discharge all water? when all water will come out of tube of washing machine?

* If all water come of the tube only when drain hose come off , so with turning off the washing machine , drain pump will stop pumping and I won't face any overflowing
otherwise in other circumstance if 7-8 gallons come out , It is a MUST to buy or choose one of those expensive ways.

That pump will not work, You need one that has a input it the bottom. That one will suck air, if not completely submerged.

You should get a wet shop vac, That will work. And you can use it for other things, like unstopping a drain.

And as Reach4 said, get a water alarm to tell you when when you need to vacuum. They are 10-20 dollars. I use them, they work , mine send SOS in Morse code.

If all else else fails, Use the laundry room that your complex provides for you.

Good Luck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks