Shallow well problems - sorry about double post.

Users who are viewing this thread

ShallowWellNoob

Reaction score
Have had problems for a long time with parents well/pump. It will pump water fine as long as the pump is on & running, they have been using the breaker box to turn it on and off themselves, as it will never reach shut-off.

Today we installed all new lines & fittings, etc.. UNDER the pump (down into the well) and a new pump. Turned it on, water coming out fine just as before - let everything run for a while with all water open to get air out of the lines. Seemed like all air was out and the pump was running at 22lbs. After turning everything off and letting the pump run for about 10 mins, it had dropped to 15lbs. Any idea what is going on? --- was able to take a 30 min shower on full blast and have steady water before replacing, so I dont think its a problem with the water level (although, Im new to all this)

Could it be something above the pump in the system? Any leak would have to be leaking into the basement and I do not see anything dripping...

Oh, and my father was told that the water is fed by an underground river a long time ago I guess - using a 1 HP convertible shallow well pump. Line goes down about 90 ft. --water is normally VERY clean, no dirt/rust/etc....tastes great and is normally very clear.

Reach4

Reaction score
How many pipes go to the well? If only 1 pipe, you can only pump if the water surface is 25 feet or so below the pump. If two lines, somebody will be along to help you further in what to adjust.

If you don't use water and shut off the pump, what happens to the pressure -- how far does it drop how fast?

How big is the casing? If the casing is big enough (3 inches or better), I would put in a submersible next time.

ShallowWellNoob

Reaction score
2 pipes go into the pump/well.
If the water isnt used, then it drops pretty fast - not sure just how long, 15-20 mins maybe??
the casing? - you mean the hole down or what?

ShallowWellNoob

Reaction score
Its a little bigger than the 2 pipes going down, 1 pipe is 1inch and the other is 1.25inch. Also, the 90 foot down is where the pipes are now, I dont think they have to be that deep as they weren't when I was a kid. My dad added length to it when he replaced everything a LONG time ago - around that same time is when the pressure problems started (I think) - maybe we should shorten the pipes? - the old pipes are still good (we think), could cut them shorter and try them again - was thinking maybe take 10 feet off and try, then if not, cut 10 more feet and so on until it either works or no water.

Reach4

Reaction score
Shortening does not help, as long as you are sucking clean water.

It is possible that you need to clean the jet down the hole. Was that part of what you just replaced? If so, maybe the jet is not the right one.

If I understand correctly, there should be a valve at the output of the of the pump that carries water away from the well to your plumbing. Try closing that a little more.

ShallowWellNoob

Reaction score
I thought shortening would help since it would have less line to have to build up pressure? And I replaced EVERYTHING from the pump down - new pump, new pipes, new joints, new foot valve, etc.
From the pump, there is a small line above it that leads to the bladder tank and line to feed the house

---also just checked and the bladder tank pressure was low. Only at like 18psi, the pump is set at factory defaults (30/50), so going to bump it up to 28psi in the morning. Not that I think that will fix the problem, but needs done.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
2 pipes go into the pump/well.
If the water isnt used, then it drops pretty fast - not sure just how long, 15-20 mins maybe??
the casing? - you mean the hole down or what?

If you are losing pressure when no water is being used, you have a leak somewhere. I am guessing the leak is in the little drive pipe that goes down the well. Because if you don't have enough water going down the drive pipe you won't get much pressure coming up the suction pipe.

ShallowWellNoob

Reaction score
I cant say how long with the new system, but that was with the old. Also, after changing the bladder pressure and turning off the line that runs out to the hose, pressure got up to 28psi...after a few mins, it dropped to 26-27psi while the pump was running. Ill try to check how long it takes for water pressure to drop without the pump being on today.

----just went and looked at it. After the pump turned off, the pressure went from 28 to like 11psi. within just a cpl of mins

Would installing a check valve just under the pump help if there is a problem down the line?

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If the pressure leaks off while no water is being used, I would say you have a leak in the smaller drive line going down the well. If the pressure holds when no water is being used, I would say you have something clogging the venture nozzle in the ejector at the bottom of the two pipes.

ShallowWellNoob

Reaction score
Just pulled the lines and seemly no leaks. Both pipes were filled with water. Tighten everything down every last bit that they would go. Only getting 26psi atm, its running right now. Had all the lines open and running to let air out, flushed crapper a cpl of times, etc... everything is off now. Also, we think the water is only like 25-30ft down - my father says he felt it hit water as he was lowering the pipes in. Still thinking about cutting down the old pipes to see if that helps - less space should make the pump work less to get more pressure shouldnt it??? Also, thinking about installing a shutoff valve in the line that feeds the house to see if it can build pressure without it feeding to the house....still do not see any leaks in the basement though.

---lost 10psi in 10 mins

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Still thinking about cutting down the old pipes to see if that helps - less space should make the pump work less to get more pressure shouldnt it???
Any effect would be minuscule while drawing water and would have zero effect once the pressure peak had been hit.
Also, thinking about installing a shutoff valve in the line that feeds the house to see if it can build pressure without it feeding to the house....still do not see any leaks in the basement though.
Try searching for "control valve". I think that normally goes between the pump and the pressure tank. Obviously you would not want to close that valve. And it would at least sometimes be built into the pump. http://www.redlionproducts.com/clean-water/overview/ If you have such a built-in valve, you might try adjusting that.
converible-jet-deep_OverviewCrops.jpg

I think what you propose is to put in a "service valve". Yes, you want one.

I have no experience with these. Others do.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks