EcoWater ESD 2502R39 Not Regenerating

Users who are viewing this thread

Civrel

Reaction score
For about the last two months, I have had to manually set my system to regenerate. I know when it is time to regenerate when very quickly we start noticing an iron odor/taste and the water starts to get hard. I also start to notice a slight iron stain around the sink drains. After I manually regenerate, the problem goes away for a week or so. As far as I know the small turbine in the raw water inlet pipe spins and a sensor picks up the rotation of the turbine to calculate the volume of water that passes through the system and based on the grain per gallon of hardness settings in the small processor, it tells the motor when to initiate a regeneration. I may have left a step or two out here. So, it the turbine spins, it is working. The next item in line is the sensor. This looks like a thin circuit board with a drip of solder on the end. The sensor will only fit in one position. Is there any way to test the operation of this sensor? The sensor is connected directly to the processor and the micro switch. The micro switch was replaced about a year ago when the old one went bad. All connections are tight. The processor and display seem to function properly. The clock maintains time and all of the settings. There is no sign of corrosion on the contacts of damage to the circuit board. Is there anything else that that could be interrupting the automatic regeneration of this system I need to check? Thanks!

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
All the EcoWater systems I have ever worked on, the turbine is on the outlet side of the softener. You might want to verify which is the inlet & outlet to insure the system is hooked up correctly. You should be able to push and hold the select button until you get into the secondary mode which will show any water flow. If it shows flow, than the turbine and cable are counting the gallons and the control board is at fault. To test just the cable, put the control board in the secondary mode to show flow and wave a magnet over the sensor pickup. If it shows flow, the cable is good and the turbine is at fault. Even though the turbine spins freely outside of the unit, it may not when inside it.

MontcoPA

Reaction score
All the EcoWater systems I have ever worked on, the turbine is on the outlet side of the softener. You might want to verify which is the inlet & outlet to insure the system is hooked up correctly. You should be able to push and hold the select button until you get into the secondary mode which will show any water flow. If it shows flow, than the turbine and cable are counting the gallons and the control board is at fault. To test just the cable, put the control board in the secondary mode to show flow and wave a magnet over the sensor pickup. If it shows flow, the cable is good and the turbine is at fault. Even though the turbine spins freely outside of the unit, it may not when inside it.

So I have the Ecowater ESD2502 R30 and am experiencing similar situation and cant quite figure it out. Turbine works and is reading when water is on. Manual regenerations work fine, but its not auto regenerating. Hardness is at 25. Family of 4. Should regenerate every 5-7 days at least. Nothing in past two weeks. Brine tank salt not going down except for manual regenerations.

Other question is what are the readings when I go into secondary mode. I know if I hold select for 3 seconds it takes me to the turbine meter reading, which reads when water is on. If I press up it shows a number (1251). If I press down, it shows a number (351). 1 week later it reads 356, Don't know what this is.

Thoughts?

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
IIRC the numbers would be gallons or liters. You can check by running water while in that mode. This is merely to show you if the turbine is working. The electronics may be bad or are set for a bigger system.

MontcoPA

Reaction score
IIRC the numbers would be gallons or liters. You can check by running water while in that mode. This is merely to show you if the turbine is working. The electronics may be bad or are set for a bigger system.

yes, turbine shows readings when water is on. I cleaned venture also about 3 weeks ago. salt tank just doesn't appear to be going down and I check every night that water softener doesn't say recharge tonight. according to manual it would say recharge tonight if the automatic timer determined a regeneration was needed. when I first moved in to house a few months ago it cycled pretty frequently and now nothing in 3 weeks, except for the manual regeneration I did as part of my diagnosis, which worked great and removed salt from brine tank. im stumped right now.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
It may not regen because your water usage is less than the previous owners. The recharge tonight may only flash after you have gone to bed. I would let it go. If you maintain soft water or the salt goes down, then you know it's going through a cycle. Once the brine tank has too much water, it will take several regens to remove all the water. I tell my customers to place unit in a draw cycle and unplug it for 1 1/2 hrs then plug it back in. This will pull all the extra water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks