Drain still clogged after being snaked.

Users who are viewing this thread

toysoldier

Reaction score
Here's what I've been dealing with so far.

A while back my washing machine would start making a glugging nouse and back up during the drain cycle. I figured it was due to washing large loads of laundry. I adjusted the loads and it happened rarely. Recently thought I have noticed that the washing machine drain and the downstairs toilet next to the washer would both start making the glugging sound before the washing machine drain would back up. Sometimes the downstairs toilet would back up also. Now it has gotten to the point that I don't have to run the washer for the toilet to glug or backup. Guess it just depends on the day, IDK. But lately when the upstairs toilet would flush or the shower is being run it might either make the downstairs toilet glugg for a minute then back it up or it will be fine.

I got tired of this and rented a 100 ft drain snake from home depot and ran it though the drain of the downstairs toilet. On the first run with the spade snake bit I noticed small roots tangled on the cable. So I ran the root cleaning bit and the C bit though the drains. After that everything seemed to work normally.

I did this on Sunday Oct 4th. and toilet is backing up again Oct 8-9.

I really don't know what else to do after running a snake though the drain. I really don't have the funds for a plumber right now.

I have not yet tried to check or clean out the vents on the roof, I don't have a ladder to get to the roof. But would clogged roof vents cause this kind of problem? Or could it be something else?

Any help, suggestions or tips would be appreciated.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The snake that the pros use can rip the hand off of an inexperienced DIY. I know it's not manly to ever admit your lost or that you can't do something as "simple" as snaking a drain, but heed the advice given and call a plumber before you have to call the EMT.

johnmeto

Reaction score
As Terry said using a snake is dangerous if you don't have experience using it. Calling up professional help seems the better option here.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A Handylectric V would NOT have a 100' snake. However, "having" The proper snake and knowing "HOW to use it", are two very different things, ( and they will NOT go through the toilet).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks