Toilet won't stay unclogged

Users who are viewing this thread

Jodebg

Reaction score
We are planning to replace one of the toilet due to color reasons.

I see both 1 and 2 pc. toilets available.

Is one style better than the other?

Reach4

Reaction score
1-piece
Pre-built
Nicer looking
More status
costs more
may be a little easier to clean

2-piece:
Each piece is lighter so easier to carry upstairs
must be assembled
more chance for leak
costs less

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There can be a subtle performance increase in a two-piece toilet because the tank sits a little higher meaning a little bit more water head pressure. It's measurable, but very small. IOW, buy one that you like and don't worry about it as long as you buy a reputable brand. A one-piece IS heavier that the two separate pieces unless you assemble the toilet before installing it, then the tw0-piece might end up heavier to lift in place. Crud won't run underneath the tank if you have someone whose aim isn't great...that can be a pain to clean.

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
Two of the main things that made a one-piece toilet appealing have been eliminated due to the need to redesign in order to comply with government-mandated water usage. In years past, the design of a one-piece toilet was such that the bowl couldn't overflow. Except for the noise made when the toilet made the final push down the drain, and tank refill, they were virtually silent. These days, the choice has more to due with looks and style. As stated above, they're heavier to maneuver since the tank and bowl don't separate and a wee bit of the flush power is lost. I have a one-piece AS Champion 4, with a MaP rating of 800 grams. It actually has a slightly better flush than my other two toilets that are two-piece and have 1,000 gram MaP ratings.

Jodebg

Reaction score
Looking at toilet options and came by 2 Mesino toilet models.

Does anyone have any experience with this brand? Any idea as to where they are made?

Jodebg

Reaction score
Two of the main things that made a one-piece toilet appealing have been eliminated due to the need to redesign in order to comply with government-mandated water usage. In years past, the design of a one-piece toilet was such that the bowl couldn't overflow. Except for the noise made when the toilet made the final push down the drain, and tank refill, they were virtually silent. These days, the choice has more to due with looks and style. As stated above, they're heavier to maneuver since the tank and bowl don't separate and a wee bit of the flush power is lost. I have a one-piece AS Champion 4, with a MaP rating of 800 grams. It actually has a slightly better flush than my other two toilets that are two-piece and have 1,000 gram MaP ratings.

Jodebg

Reaction score
Just a follow up to the original post.

I followed the advise on this thread and found the siphon tube and other areas to be full of deposits.
Took the toilet outside and soaked it in vinegar and then rinsed out the pass ways with a garden hose.
Lots of dissolved sediment came out. repeated this a few times, and in different positions.

Reinstalled the toilet this week and found a very slow leak. Removed the tank and found the
rubber gasket worn on the filler tube. Replaced with a new one and flushes like a champ!

I wanted to thank all who took the time to educate me on what to look for, and how to test
for the possible issues. With that advice I was able to work in confidence and save the expense of
a replacement toilet.

Thanks again.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I also installed the toilet mounting bolts to the flange using nuts to hold them in place. There is plenty of
room for the nuts in the ample recess under the toilet. Any problem using nuts on the bolts to hole them in place?

This is actually exactly what the better plumbers who install a lot of toilets do. Terry does it, and recommends that we do it. He double-nuts the tank-to-bowl hardware as well: one nut and metal washer holding the bolt to the tank, then the second rubber washer, second metal washer, and nut (in that order) under the bowl holding the bolt to the bowl.

How tight should this supply line nut be?

Hand-tight plus a quarter-to-a-half turn with pliers is about right, unless you have very strong hands. Sounds like it's fine.

The original supply lines were all made with solid tubing.
Is there any advantage to removing the solid supply tube and replacing them with new flexible supply lines?

Most folks use the flexible lines these days and hard lines aren't generally required by code in almost all jurisdictions. NYC still, I think, requires hard lines by code, although lots of folks (including the maint staff in my building) ignore this. If the old supply lines still fit readily (i.e. you put the toilet back in basically exactly the same spot, tilted and lined up exactly the same way), then it should be fine. However, one reason that you may have had an issue reattaching the supply to the tank without leaks may well be the slightly-different angle that the hard line is going into the attachment to the tank. Most likely, a braided hose would eliminate the need to tighten so hard. Don't use the "flood stop" ones; they are renowned on here to cause problems. Bottom line: new braided hoses, looped around from the outlet to the tank, are like chicken soup: can't hurt. Terry replaces the hoses when he installs a new toilet (and usually the stop as well, but he does a complete job for the money he is paid).

Thanks again for all the great and helpful information!

Our pleasure. We enjoy helping/educating folks like yourself. You really took the knowledge and put it to good use!

Reaction score
The original supply lines were all made with solid tubing.
Is there any advantage to removing the solid supply tube and replacing them with new flexible supply lines?
I don't like how braided supply lines rust over the years from condensation and mold that builds up in it.

When it does finally rust, the braid frays apart sharply and can cause problems for small pets or children.

If you do like flexible, you can get it unbraided. They do come in just plastic.

Solid chrome supply lines can be easily cut and bent to length, and has a beauty that unsurpasses all flexible types.

johncall

Reaction score
This could be the house I grew up in. One of the toilets on the second floor (a kohler ironically) clogged/plugged easily since the house was built. My dad who built the house, and did plumbing until he retired, said the pitch of the drain pipe was not enough but had no choice when he built it. I assume he was telling the truth. Until this day that toilet is only used for liquid waste. Take this for what it's worth...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks