3" vent line, Tee or Y?

Users who are viewing this thread

maintenance man

Reaction score
I am building a new room on my house. I have a 4" line going at a 45 degree angle for 3 feet up to the toilet. I am trying to tie into the side of this line to then go over and up with a 3" vent. Can I just use a tee coming right off the side of this line, or must it be a Y for a vent line? Also is it okay to come off the side of this line or must I come off the top of the line and then make a turn in order to get over to where my vent will go up to the roof? The dirty line on the left goes to toilet flange, the elbow on the right is the vent I am trying to get over to.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The toilet can be vented within six feet of the flange. You can use a wye or the santee pictured.
I prefer the wye in this case since it's for the toilet.
Normally with a toilet you can vent with 2", but since you have a 3" there, why not.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Maybe it's just an illusion, but you weren't planning on inserting a 3" fitting on that 4" line, were you? Y or San-T, don't you want a 4x4x3 fitting? The Y is safer in the manner you are using it. Required or not, I think you want that fitting to be rotated at least 45 degrees up from the horizonal centerline of that pipe. The basic point is to keep the yucky stuff from flowing into your vent line. Imagine how the water is going to flow down that 45-degree pipe and plan accordingly.

Last edited:

maintenance man

Reaction score
Yes wjcandee, you caught me with that 3" tee, I didn't realize I had bought the wrong size until I was posting the picture last night. Here is what I ended up doing after your all's advice, I didn't come off the top, but hopefully the inspector wont mind, I am sure it will work with such big lines.

By the way, another question I will ask, is what length metal straps do I need to place over studs where the pipes go through the walls? What length for 3" and what length for 2" pipes, also where there is pex are straps required in most areas?
image.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks