Washing Machine Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

PrinterInk

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone have an idea as to why my washing machine is suddenly draining out of a pipe that is located on the side of my house?

Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The side of the house?
I suppose if the line is backing up, it could be finding an open pipe or cleanout.
Kind of tough to say without being there. Normally the washer has a standpipe that takes all the water.

PrinterInk

Reaction score
Thanks for your response...

I washed some clothes that had been in storage for awhile and then the washer started draining through the clean-out pipe which is located on the outside of the house, near the kitchen sink.

Upon further inspection, seems that some of the clothing may have dry rotted. Perhaps pieces of the clothing are clogging the standpipe.

What would I need to do to unclog it?

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
They're called "Plumbers". They have twisty thingys that go into your drain pipes and remove the clog.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
You've been Swarted.

There's a hand cranked drain snake that you can get at HD that might work for you. Cheaper than a plumber. The ergonomics are a thousand points into the negative, but it might do the job for you with a little persistence.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks