Is this Iron Bacteria or just iron build-up?

Users who are viewing this thread

JustaDIYer

Reaction score
This is a picture of my injector screen after about 7 months in service with new softener (it quit drawing brine and hence me finding this issue, i cleaned this and seems to be working now). I checked inside my toilet tanks and there was no slimy buildup. Tanks were red colored but not slimy or any residue at bottom.

20150827_220716.jpg

JustaDIYer

Reaction score
just from a company that i had stop by before i purchased my softener back in Jan.

Hardness - 33gpg
Iron - 3.4ppm

And from well inspection report from Apr. 2013; no coliform/nitrate or arsenic.

And what do you mean by a simple sediment filter?

_John_

Reaction score
with iron at 3.4 ppm and the problems you're seeing I would look at an iron filter ahead of that one.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Agreed, a Catalox light doubles as an iron reduction system and has an excellent sediment reducing capability.
FYI, I am BW color blind, so I cant really tell by the color, only by the "texture". With iron that high, it is probably iron, sediment, etc.

JustaDIYer

Reaction score
ok, IF this was iron bacteria (even though i doubt it is), then would the Catalox light iron reduction filter fix that as well, since no iron is in the water to softener?

Also, where can i purchase a filter with Catalox light? Recommendations?

Reach4

Reaction score
ok, IF this was iron bacteria (even though i doubt it is), then would the Catalox light iron reduction filter fix that as well, since no iron is in the water to softener?

I am guessing that you meant that if you put in such a filter that there would be no iron going to the softener. So would that keep such deposits in the photo from coming back after you cleaned away the existing deposits in the softener?

Is that what you are asking?

I think the answer to that would be yes.

JustaDIYer

Reaction score
yes, that was my question.

Also, would my resin also resemble that pic? i use iron out salt. But if the resin looks like that, i'd guess that would greatly reduce it's effectiveness.

Reach4

Reaction score
When using a softener for iron removal, you will need a lot of extra maintenance. Try searching this forum for "iron out".

The separate backwashing iron filter will make things much nicer. It will remove the need for such regular maintenance. It will make your resin last longer. It removes things that a softener cannot, such as hydrogen sulfide. On the other hand, the Katalox Light media might need replacing after 8 to 10 years, tho it has only been available for a few years.

I would get an independent test, from a lab, on your raw water. I like http://www.karlabs.com/watertestkit/

Check your inbox.

ditttohead

Reaction score
The filter screen is for the injector system. It gets untreated water during the brine and slow rinse cycle. The resin will likely show fouling due to the iron content of your water. Even the iron out salt only lessens the problem. Iron reduction prior to softening is highly recommended.

montelatici

Reaction score
I had a Rainsoft water softener for about ten years on a rental plan. The softener improved the iron staining for a while but over the past 2-3 years iron and associated sediment was causing staining. Being lazy I only called the Rainsoft people about 2 years ago and asked if the filter/media might be clogged or no longer effective. They sent a guy out who took a look at the sediment filter and told me that the media would last forever and that I needed a new well. So, being lazy I did nothing until this summer when I asked them to take their junk back. They scheduled a date and didn't show up. We subsequently went on vacation for a month. On our return, the water was even worse and I called the Rainsoft people and asked if they could come and take the equipment out (telling them that I was having a new system installed). They responded by saying that I should have the new "contractor' put their system on the driveway and that they would schedule a pick-up! Since I was to be the "contractor", I was caught in a white lie. So, I removed the Rainsoft system and put it on the driveway. A PITA. I went to Lowes and bought a 44K grain softener and their "central backwashing water filter" and installed them. Well, the water was improved but not much. About like when the Rainsoft system was installed. I knew this was a loser solution from my previous experience. I continued reading water treatment texts and finally determined that I needed a sediment and iron filter. I bought a 1 cubic foot Katalox Light iron filter (which also handles sediment) via the internet for $739, removed my existing cartridge sediment filter, installed the Katalox filter before the softener so that the system is now:

Well water in----> Katalox filter---->Whirlpool Water Softener-----> Whirlpool Central (carbon) Backwashing carbon filter.

The water is now clear and we now experience the slick feeling of soft water water that was supposed to be produced by the water softener installed by Rainsoft a decade ago. Cost was $739 Katalox filter-$399 Whirlpool Water Softener-$299 Central Carbon backwashing filter plus $200 for Shark connectors and other installation materials etc.

Long answer, but I think you would do well buying a Katalox filter and possibly adding the WS and central filter if you want clean soft water without iron.

JustaDIYer

Reaction score
Yes, I'm leaning towards the KL filter. Where did you purchase yours from? What control valve does it have?

Why do you have the central carbon backwash filter?

What made u decide on a 1cu ft KL?

Last edited:

montelatici

Reaction score
Is that the Genesis valve one? Why you choose the 1cu ft one? I have a WS now that's only about 9 months old.

I chose the 1 cubic foot one because we are only 3 people in the house. Yes the "Genesis" is a Carnature 785 valve. A very good valve. Don't believe the hype, the so-called US and British valves (Fleck and Clack) are actually made in China too.

JustaDIYer

Reaction score
I have only 3 people too. But thinking the 1.5cuft filter. Little better service flow rate.

How long you had your KL filter? How you hook up from KL to ws? Just a flex line?

Bannerman

Reaction score
Don't believe the hype, the so-called US and British valves (Fleck and Clack) are actually made in China too.
Even if that were true, quality is not necessarily an issue of where a product is built. More important is the design, specifications and the company backing the product.

Apple's iPhone and iPad are built in China but they are not random off the shelf Foxconn products. They are built by Foxconn in rigid adherence to Apple's design and specifications and are backed and marketed by Apple as Apple's unique and proprietary product.

Both Fleck and Clack offer high quality and reliable products sold around the world. There are other companies, some in China, that copy their designs and hope to capitalize on their reputations. While some of the copies may appear to be good, their reliability and parts availability may not yet be known.

If there is a flaw or failure and your home is damaged as a result, will the company offering a cheaper control valve be around to back their product?

Last edited:

montelatici

Reaction score
Even if that were true, quality is not necessarily an issue of where a product is built. More important is the design, specifications and the company backing the product.

Apple's iPhone and iPad are built in China but they are not random off the shelf Foxconn products. They are rigidly built by Foxconn in adherence to Apple's design and specifications and are backed and marketed by Apple as Apple's unique and proprietary product.

Both Fleck and Clack offer high quality and reliable products sold around the world. There are other companies, some in China, that copy their designs and hope to capitalize on their reputations. While some of the copies may appear to be good, their reliability and parts availability may not yet be known.

If there is a flaw or failure and your home is damaged as a result, will the company offering a cheaper control valve be around to back their product?

Carnature the Chinese company that makes the valves in question, offers high quality products sold around the world. Parts are readily available and their U.S. operation honors their warranty through their dealers just as Fleck or Clack does. Both Fleck and Clack parts are made in China. No need to scare the consumer into paying more than necessary. Fleck and Clack limit their availability of the valves and parts to specific dealers, allowing them to make maximum profit on mark up.

ditttohead

Reaction score
If that is true, then I have several other valve manufacturers from China who are even lower quality and much cheaper than Canature.

If you look at the Canature valves, you will notice they look nearly identical to some other companies valve. Now that is true innovation.

You don't have to justify your purchase with anyone here, just understand that most of the real tech guys on this forum who have spent decades repairing and maintaining valves understand that it is a lot more than just taking someones valve, copying it, and selling it cheaper.

Certain companies make their name copying other companies product lines. Many of these copycat companies in China do a very poor job of it. We chose to not support companies that only imitate and not innovate. Changing a cover shape so it looks like a Clack valve is not considered innovation.

montelatici

Reaction score
I am a "a real tech guy" buddy. I run a tech company. There is no need for innovation to make/copy a good low tech product. The Chinese have copied and now make radomes (for radars) that are equal or superior to U.S. and European radomes. We use them for our radars, because they cost less. Valves are not rocket science, the Chinese can't make our RF digital down converters as good as ours, but they can make radomes. Get it?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks