Recent opinions on AS Glenwall vs. Gerber Maxwell? (more on wall-mount toilets...)

Users who are viewing this thread

OL

Reaction score
Hello - I think I will need to replace a couple older (50 year) wall hung toilets in my house. Wondering whether there were any updated opinions on what seem to be the two main options- Gerber Maxwell and American Standard Glenwall. Is there a clear preference of one over another? Or is one better for some applications? (Am I missing another choice?)

I understand from reading reviews here that the AS Glenwall may have a stronger (if paper-shredding) flush, but that quality control is (or was) a problem - with cracked tanks, etc. Still true? And is that the case with the Gerber Maxwell as well? The Gerber Maxwell seems to be a slightly smaller option (27"depth, 17.25"wide, vs 29.5"depth & 19.5" wide for the AS Glenwall), which may fit better in my tight space, but I think either could work. Neither of these are cheap options, esp. with freight shipping, and I may have to order online (I am in upstate NY), so I'm trying to do my research.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't recommend shipping toilets. Most people that deliver them can't lift the packages. They tend to drop them off the tailgate.

I've been installing a lot of the Gerbers lately. I have both the Gerber and the American Standard at my mothers place, so I have access to both.
In the next week or two we will be installing 17 more of the Gerber Maxwell wall hung bowls at chalets in the mountains.

Either will work, I do have less issures with the Gerber, it is more compact, has the higher bowl that I like, and is quieter in use.

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
As Terry points out, the bowl height is different on the two (the Gerber being the higher bowl), and as you pointed out, one is a pressure-assist (AS) and one is gravity (Gerber).

I think the feeling here is that the AS quality control has improved. Not spectacular, but not truly-atrocious as it seemed to be for a while.

Figure out what you can get it for delivered online, and expect to pay a little more most of the time to buy it locally, but you can examine it at the dealer, know your sales tax is helping your community, and not deal with having to mail it back if it arrives in pieces. Or you can use Terry's prices on this web site as examples of fair prices. Then, open the yellow pages, turn to plumbing supply, and call 5 of them with the exact model number and color you want, and tell them you're ready to order today if the price is fair. Some will be mean, some will be nice, some will be stupidly-expensive, some will have a good price. Pick the best one and fire away.

There is also a Mansfield version in the wall-mount, but we don't have experience with it, and it's generally a brand that's available regionally. I would go with either of the two with which Terry has experience. The homeowner's association in a mountain condo ski area appears to have designated him as the go-to guy for toilet replacement, and he is offering both to the homeowners, who are selecting them based upon price/noise/height considerations. He has installed a bunch so far and apparently now has orders for even more. Both work very well, or he wouldn't recommend them. Looks like the Gerber is getting more takers!

Here's the spec sheet on the Mansfield. It uses the same Flushmate aas the AS Glenwall. (They also make a dual-flush one with the WDI Ecoflush, which has had some truly-awful reviews on here as being horrendously-unreliable. As we said when I lived in Texas, why borrow the trouble?) http://www.mansfieldplumbing.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/144-123.pdf

Last edited:

OL

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the responses. I'll look around to see what I can find locally, and am probably leaning toward the Gerber if I can get it.

Ryan Kronzer

Reaction score
This post is leading me to the Gerber, as well. I have two questions:
1. Does this wall hung toilet require a carrier behind the wall or it is attached to suitable 2x wood block within the stud cavity?
2. Could the Gerber be installed an inch lower for a bowl height of 15 1/2"? This is a new installation and I do not need to match existing plumbing.
Thanks

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
This post is leading me to the Gerber, as well. I have two questions:
1. Does this wall hung toilet require a carrier behind the wall or it is attached to suitable 2x wood block within the stud cavity?
2. Could the Gerber be installed an inch lower for a bowl height of 15 1/2"? This is a new installation and I do not need to match existing plumbing.
Thanks

A wall hung toilet requires a hanger assembly.

maxwell_wh_03.jpg

This one was mounted very high, too high I thought. I didn't do the rough, but did supply the toilet.
To figure how low you can go, you would pick up the bowl, make the measurements and go from there. The Maxwall bowl is a bit higher than the other wall hung bowls.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
On new construction, had you considered a wall-hung toilet with an in-wall tank? Sleeker looking, IMHO. It does use an access panel so you can do maintenance. It doesn't stick out into the room as far, which, could be helpful.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks