A little help with icemaker connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Agrippa

Reaction score
We will be getting a new refrigerator in a couple of weeks. In preparation, I went down to the basement to check out the shut off valve for the ice maker. This is what I found. I'm a little concerned about the corrosion at the elbows. I'm looking for suggestions, possible fixes.

IMG_1585.jpg

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your concern is justified. The connection was made with a DIY "special", aka a saddle valve.
These are quick, cheap, and easy to install and they will work for awhile, but usually cause problems later on. Best thing to do is to install tee into the supply line, then a 1/4 turn ball valve. You can then run a bit more 1/2" pipe into a connection box designed for the purpose. This box would be mounted in the kitchen right behind the fridge. From the box, use a steel braided flex hose to connect to the fridge. A bit more expense and work, but makes it easy to pull the fridge out to clean without worry about kinking a 1/4" copper or plastic tube.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's hard to see the source of the leak, but replacing the corroded portion of the pipe and installing a T will be a very good idea.

Installing an in line filter will be another great idea. Then changing the filter periodically will give you filtered water to the ice maker.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Saddle valves often work for awhile, but tend to fail eventually especially if you actually try to turn the valve off. It is a clamp-on device with rubber seals, and gets to the water by piercing the pipe with a sharp point. Over time both the seal can leak, and the expansion/contraction with temperature changes can loosen the screws holding it in place if not installed perfectly. You really should replace it as others have indicated with a proper valve either soldered in place, or a compression valve, or maybe a third best choice of something like a Sharkbite fitting.

saddle-valve.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks