Please help me decide...softener

Users who are viewing this thread

Nragoal

Reaction score
Greetings,

My water softener that was installed by the previous home owner has crapped the bed. I need a new one. The results of the water test for the house from Ten years ago are in the picture. The home is approx. 2000 square feet with three bathrooms and it is currently my fiancé and I living here. I want a Fleck and have been doing research. What do you experts recommend for me? My water looks clear, has a strong odor of iron? Light staining on appliances. I was given different options and answers when calling to place an order and now I am confused. I have been told I need 48000-64000 grains, standard or vortech tanks, fine or standard resin, stainless or noryl, blah blah blah. I was originally going to order a fleck 5600 sxt with standard options, but it has gotten much more complicated. I want something that will have longevity, reliability, do its job with little mainenance and support 2 ppl and possibly a couple of kids in the future. Please let me know what will be best for me.

Thanks,
Steve

image.jpg

ByteMe

Semi-Pure awesomeness!
Reaction score
Suggest getting a new water test also before buying a system.

With the ten year old water test; you have a bit of iron, so you would want some iron filter follow by a softener. But then, I wouldn't trust a ten year old test to be what the water currently is.

Nragoal

Reaction score
I just have some questions. I want to retest water but I need this to be ordered asap, I feel like I am destroying my plumbing and appliances, it sucks showering in strong smelling water and I don't like my dogs drinking it. Not to mention my fiancé complaining. As for the water test I will just assume it is the same or slightly worse. For my situation what would be best/what would you buy? Please answer what you can.

Fleck 5600 SXT or 7000 SXT?
48000 or 64000 grain?
Conventional or Vortech tank?
Fine or standard resin?
Stainless or noryl parts?
Should I get a res-care feeder to clean the resin?
Should I get a turbulator even though it will decrease water pressure?
Should I get a high flow distributer tube?
What is the name of the iron filter that I should install before the softner?

ByteMe

Semi-Pure awesomeness!
Reaction score
I just have some questions. I want to retest water but I need this to be ordered asap, I feel like I am destroying my plumbing and appliances, it sucks showering in strong smelling water and I don't like my dogs drinking it. Not to mention my fiancé complaining. As for the water test I will just assume it is the same or slightly worse. For my situation what would be best/what would you buy? Please answer what you can.

Fleck 5600 SXT or 7000 SXT?
48000 or 64000 grain?
Conventional or Vortech tank?
Fine or standard resin?
Stainless or noryl parts?
Should I get a res-care feeder to clean the resin?
Should I get a turbulator even though it will decrease water pressure?
Should I get a high flow distributer tube?

Another week or two while you get the water retested will not make any difference with your pumping lifespan.

The fleck 7000SXT is technically "better" than the 5600SXT. But the 5600 could work just fine for you depending on how much resin you need.

No other accurate info can be suggested to you without knowing the current water conditions. We also need to know the average water use per day along with the maximum used at one time.

Bannerman

Reaction score

A newer iron removal media is Katalox Lite. K-L has become popular as it can support a decent effective service flow rate and as it is light weight, it does not require as much GPM flow to backwash, compared to most other iron removal media such as Birm or Pyrolox.

Here is a link to information on media flow capacity and backwash requirements as well as a media comparison chart: http://www.purewaterproducts.com/articles/backwash-chart

Last edited:

Nragoal

Reaction score
image.jpg
These are the results of a water test I just had done this past week. The iron is insane! FYI the well is 305 feet deep and it starts at the bottom of the driveway 100 yards down and away from the house. I filled a five gallon bucket in a bathtub using hot and cold water wide open while pump kicked on and filled it in 1 min 25 seconds.

ByteMe

Semi-Pure awesomeness!
Reaction score
Hi IRON, why no hardness?

At that level of iron, guessing you need a chlorine injection/holding tank/ backwashing carbon filter followed by a softener.

As per your water test, that about 3.5 gpm?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Iron can interfere with hardness testing so iron removal is usually done prior to hardness testing. If you notice the tds, his hardness should not exceed 20 GPG.

You need a real iron removal system. I would highly recommend chlorine injection, contact tank, etc.

Nragoal

Reaction score
Hi Steve.....!

Based on our phone conversation.... here are the items I would recommend to help improve your water quality....!

Once you know what you hardness level is.... we can figure what size Softener you will need for your home....

>>>> These items would all be installed in the order as shown below, in the main water supply line, starting just after the well pump pressure tank......
If the correct amount of Chlorine is added to the raw water with the proper amount of contact time, this unit will help reduce/eliminate/precipitate Bacteria, Tannins, Color, Sediments, Slimy Buildup, Odors & Iron/Manganese that is present in your water....
This Stenner Injector is simple to adjust, so increasing or decreasing the level ofChlorine in the water is easily done. The injection point should be installed in the main water supply line immediately after the pump pressure tank.
1.) Our Stenner Injection pump with 15 gallon storage tank.... that can be located at this link on our website...
http://ohiopurewaterco.com/shop/customer/home.php?cat=420
The Injector should be installed in the main water line first, just after the pump pressure tank...
1ea Stenner STS Series Tank System (STS15N+85MHP17110)
The Tank System includes the Stenner 15 gallon tank and the Stenner Classic
Series 85 Hi Pressure Feed Pump.
Our price: ...........................................................................$ 474.00
I recommend that you would start by adding 1 gallon of unscented Bleach (Clorox) with 14 gallons of water, in the Stenner Solution Tank, and setting the Stenner Pump on # 5. This should last about 4 weeks of constant use, with 2 – 4 people in the home.
2.) Here is a link to our website with the Well Mate Retention Tanks we market..... http://ohiopurewaterco.com/shop/customer/home.php?cat=369
This tank will allow the Chlorine to have maximum contact time of at least 15 - 20 minutes. Treated water enters at the bottom of the tank... and exits out of the top of the tank.
There is also a "Blow Down" opening on the bottom of the retention tank, where you can install a 3/4" Ball Valve, that should be manually opened for 30 - 60 Seconds, at least every 30 days of use... to expel any Sediment that has settled to the bottom of the tank.
This tank would be installed after the point of injection
1ea WellMate Universal Retention Tank (UT80)
80 gallon. 21" x 67". Shipped via Freight
Our price:............................................................................. $ 447.00
>>> The Chlorine residual in the water coming out of the Retention Tank should be set at about 1.0 ppm. <<<

3.) To help increase your low 6.54 pH closer to a more normal 7.0 level, I would recommend our 1.5 cu/ft Automatic Backwashing Calcite Filter, with the Fleck 5600SXT Timer control valve, and Vortech Resin Tank - (That will help reduce your backwash water by 15%).....be installed after the Retention Tank....

This Calcite filter will also remove Sediment Particles down to about 5 microns.... along with some Iron.... and should be set to automatically backwash every 5 days with 2 people in the home......and can be located at this link on our website... http://ohiopurewater.com/shop/customer/home.php?cat=212

1ea Fleck 5600SXT Electronic Timer Calcite Filter 1.5 (10x54 resin tank with Dome Hole and Plug)

10x54 Vortech Resin Tank with 1-1/4" Dome Hole and Plug (Almond)
1.5 cu/ft of Calcite Media
5 gpm service flow rate

Selected options:
1 Inch Noryl Yoke with Noryl Bypass Valve
Our Price................................................................................ $659.00

4.) As you have a very high level of Iron in your Raw Water.... I would recommend our Fleck 2510SXT Timer Valve – 2.0 cu/ft Filox Iron Filter, w/Vortech Resin Tank (That will use about 15% less water to backwash), be installed after the Calcite Filter....

This Backwashing Filter will also help remove Sediment Particles..... while removing up to 15 ppm of Iron from your water....! I would recommend that you set the Filox Sediment/Iron Filter..... to automatically backwash every 2 days... with 2 - 4 people in the home....!

1ea Fleck 2510SXT Electronic Timer Backwash Filox Sediment/Iron Filter 2.0
12x52” Vortech Resin Tank (Almond)

2.0 cubic feet of Filox Media

12 gpm service flow rate

5 gpm backwash flow rate

Selected options:
1” Noryl Yoke with Noryl Bypass Valve

Our Price............................................................................................ $1061.00

We have all items in stock and our internet price includes Shipping to your address in the lower 48 US States.......!
Best Regards,

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks