Need help with 10" rough-in toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Galina

Reaction score
I need toilette (10" rough-in, elongated) for top floor bath, water pressure is low there. My current TOTO (not sure about model, inexpensive one, was about $100) fills very slow or, if the water is on in any part of the house, does not fill at all. Also flushing is poor in my model. What can you recommend, what brand/model?

Reach4

Reaction score
Are you on city water or a well?

How is pressure at the nearby lavatory or elsewhere in the house? Just adequate, or good?

You may just need to just clean the filtering on the fill valve. You may need a new fill valve.

Galina

Reaction score
Are you on city water or a well?

How is pressure at the nearby lavatory or elsewhere in the house? Just adequate, or good?

You may just need to just clean the filtering on the fill valve. You may need a new fill valve.

Pressure on top floor "just adequate" not more (elsewhere in the house - good), not too convenient to take shower if water is in use anywhere else on the house.
Because of all problems: filling not good, flushing was never good (I have Toto Drake in the other bath - it's absolutely different product!), plus I need new tank valve, water dripping a little into the toilet - I would rather buy a new one! Need advise what to buy.

Wallijonn

Reaction score
... if the water is on in any part of the house, does not fill at all.

Start by checking the house water pressure. Are you on a well? Do you have a whole house water filter?

Go to YouTube and do a search for
lPUqcYCbYjA
lNAAzs4C-lQ
Rd5iW9tKkQI
WUxXSQ740nw

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Besides good flushing, are you looking more for low cost or style? Toto Entrada is often suggested as giving a great flush for a cost-value-sensitive price. Cadet 3 also gets good reports.

A new toilet will still specify a minimum water pressure. https://terrylove.com/pdf/cst244ef_spec.pdf specifies at least 8 PSI, which is a very low pressure.

If the water pressure is low to the house, you might ask the town water department for help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Galina

Reaction score
Besides good flushing, are you looking more for low cost or style? Toto Entrada is often suggested as giving a great flush for a cost-value-sensitive price. Cadet 3 also gets good reports.

A new toilet will still specify a minimum water pressure. https://terrylove.com/pdf/cst244ef_spec.pdf specifies at least 8 PSI, which is a very low pressure.

If the water pressure is low to the house, you might ask the town water department for help.

Entrada looks good for me, but ut's 12" rough-in, i have 10". For 12" I would buy Drake, but what to buy for 10"?
"Low cost or style?" Looking more for performance, not style, reasonable price range, not Neorest.

Reach4

Reaction score

Galina

Reaction score
Thanks! We have town water. I'll definitely check the pressure.
But still will like to buy new toilette.

My house was built in 50-s.
I do not see pressure regulator as a separate device.
I have main valve and the water meter right after it.
BUT the main valve has a small level behind (indicated with arrow)
Can it be this is pressure regulator/valve combined ?

main valve.JPG

Galina

Reaction score
I saw that 10 inch, and promptly forgot.
How about a Drake?

https://terrylove.com/pdf/cst744ef.10.pdf
CST744SF.10#01
Elongated bowl, 10" rough-in, less seat
• CST744SFR.10#01
Same as above with right hand trip lever​
These are 1.6 gallon flush. There are also 1.28 versions.
http://assets.totousa.com/product-files/SS-01003_CST744EFN10.pdf (called "transitional")
and http://assets.totousa.com/product-files/SS-00448_CST744EF.10.pdf with different appearance from the transitional.

Thanks! When I was looking for mine few years ago they did not make Drake with 10". I think I'll buy this one - great flusher. Also will try to check my house water pressure, as recommended above.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think it is a valve, and the red arrow may be pointing to something, such as a cap, that lets the water get drained after the valve is shut off.

Galina

Reaction score
This may have been mentioned in the voluminous postings above, but the water pressure has NOTHING to do with the flushing of the toilet.

Sure, it's two separate problems: flushing, which related to toilette type, and slow fill, related to water pressure.

Reach4

Reaction score
So, looks like I do not have anything to adjust water pressure?
It is unlikely that you have a PRV, but that picture does not rule one out. Most PRVs are after the water meter.

When you get your water pressure gauge, you will want to compare the pressure when using water vs pressure when not using water. If the pressure is low when not using water, the more likely the city might help. If the pressure is dropping a lot after using water, the problem is a restriction in your plumbing. While this might be piping before the water meter, the city normally does not pay for that repair, but they would be involved.

You can readily get a pressure gauge with a garden hose thread for under $20. This can go on an outside spigot, your laundry connections, or even the drain on the water heater. Height alone will reduce pressure by 4.3 PSI for every 10 feet. With normal pressures and plumbing, that difference is unlikely to be noticed. If you have low pressure, that can be a significant difference.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hope you read and understood HJ's message about pressure having nothing to do with flushing. If you have corroded galvanized plumbing, the flow can be very limited, but the pressure will be unaffected. Since it takes very little water to refill the tank after a flush, low low from the plumbing would just mean a few seconds more time to refill the tank. Once the tank is filled, you could actually turn the water supply off and flush the toilet. (once) Many folks confuse pressure with flow, so don't feel bad.

Galina

Reaction score
Yes, town measured - I do have low flow (or volume), not a pressure problem.

Thanks to everybody for help!!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It does appear that your pipes are too small. The most likely reason for that is they are galvanized steel and are badly corroded. They could be the size of a pencil inside. The only cure is to replace the pipes. Not a DIY job anywhere, but as I understand it, in Massachusetts a licensed plumber is required to do plumbing jobs. You certainly should get an onsite evaluation of your problems, hard to do that online, so don't just start ripping pipes out only to find you have a partly closed valve somewhere.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks