Flange broke off from lead pipe at toilet -- how to replace?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ben in Austin

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a single-story ranch home, built in 1961, slab construction. I installed a new toilet in my master bath a few months ago, and recently, I noticed that it was rocking. I snugged up the bolts, but that didn't make any difference. Yesterday, I took it apart, and I found that the closet flange had come off completely from the drain pipe. The existing pipe is lead, the flange is brass, and it looks like the flange was soldered on. The flange wasn't attached to the slab, just to the pipe. Here are some photos:

pgTzhqb.jpg

uptZzLe.jpg

vf5YecN.jpg

The question is, what's the best way to fix this? I've seen things like this that seal into the existing pipe, and then anchor to the slab with Tapcon screws. Would this work with my lead pipe? Or can I put it back the way it was with a new flange (slip a new flange over the lead pipe, hammer it out over the flange, and then solder it in place)? I have a plumbing torch; is this something I could do myself, or would I be better off to call a professional?

Thanks,
Ben

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Reach4 has a good suggestion, use a metal "push in" type flange. They come in 3" or 4".

Ben in Austin

Reaction score
I ended up going to the big orange store and getting a new brass flange and some Tapcon screws. The lead sticking up above the floor was in good shape, so I thoroughly cleaned the old wax off of it, installed and screwed down the new flange, applied a bead of silicone around the flange (I was too scared of melting a hole in the lead pipe to try to solder it), and peened over the lead on top of it. I reinstalled the toilet and everything works great. The lead seems plenty wide enough for the wax ring to make a good seal against it.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you took a picture before putting the toilet in place, would you post it?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks