Floor Mount to Wall Mount Toilet (Kohler K-6303)

Users who are viewing this thread

Unglued_YYZ

Reaction score
Hello,

I currently have a floor mount rear outlet toilet installed in a powder room directly above the garage (townhouse). It seems that a rear outlet toilet was chosen to maximize headroom in the garage, which is great. The existing toilet, however, is junk.

I'd like to replace the existing toilet with a Kohler K-6303 wall-hung unit. I will reframe the wall to provide the necessary 2x6s for support, but my question is with respect to the outlet. The rear outlet toilet is 4" off the floor, and the K-6303 will require the outlet to be at 10" off the floor.

Is there a kit out there to adapt this scenario and/or would it be within code and function to simply install two 90 degree elbows on the existing outlet (within the wall of course) to bring the outlet up to 10"?

Thank you.

- Ryan

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
EDIT: So I looked at the Kohler and I guess it comes as a package with the tank/carrier. I can't imagine how many non-standard proprietary parts there are in that carrier that will cost you a pretty penny to replace in years hence. At least that seems to be the Kohler way.

Because you're going to have to open the wall anyway, so why not just do it correctly from the start and plumb it correctly? It's not that hard to do.

I don't know where the outlet pipe goes to in your current setup, but assuming that it incorporates some measure of vertical drop, is there some reason that you can't connect to the vertical portion of the drain line? Maybe some photos would help us.

And as long as you are spending that kind of money, I would look at the Toto Aquia wall-mount. It's going to use the industry-standard tank/carriers, which would give you more options in the future. See, they sell the tank and the carrier separately, so you're not tied to some We Only Do It Our Way Kohler setup. The Aquia actually works well, rather than being the kind of good looking porcelain that people want to hit with a sledgehammer. It will take the Toto tank/carrier or the Geberit tank/carrier; we have one on both at the beach. We had a couple of Duravit bowls initially, and weren't impressed. The performance and operation of the Aquia is far superior in my opinion.

Come on back with any other questions.

Last edited:

Unglued_YYZ

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. There is no vertical drop in the drain at all, the floor of the bathroom extends approx 15" below the ceiling in the garage (basically it's a sunken powder room - stupid design but it is what it is) and the drain line runs horizontally from the sunken floor to the main stack. I'll try to get a photo tomorrow but in essence all you see is a drywall box that hangs down from the garage ceiling and the drain pipe coming out of it horizontally.

I will look at the Toto as well, thank you for the heads-up.

My underlying question - is there any reason (functionality or building code) that prevents me from having sewage drop approx. 6" and then 90 degrees out to horizontal?

Cheers

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
My underlying question - is there any reason (functionality or building code) that prevents me from having sewage drop approx. 6" and then 90 degrees out to horizontal?

Others can correct me, but I can't think of any. It's pretty much what a closet bend does. I mean, a 90 is of course a potential place that something could clog, but your waste pipe diameter is going to exceed the size of the toilet outflow by an inch or more, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Here is some info on the Toto:

Tank: http://assets.totousa.com/product-files/SS-00545_WT151M_WT152M.pdf
Bowl: http://assets.totousa.com/product-files/SS-00456_CT418FG.pdf
Install Instructions: http://assets.totousa.com/product-files/0GU059_WT151_152M_IM_OM.pdf
Drain Kit: http://assets.totousa.com/product-files/0GU067_DrainKitInstallation.pdf

Manufacturer's product page: http://assets.totousa.com/product-files/0GU067_DrainKitInstallation.pdf

Ignore the suggested price, the street price is $700 delivered, give or take. Model CWT418MFG-2

As mentioned, you can hang the Toto bowl on a Geberit tank, if you prefer that tank/carrier, which is popular.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I only read the drain kit material quickly, so you are probably right... I was actually looking for the info on the drain size and the toilet outflow hole size.

And I should add that two 90s mean two changes in direction which is more challenging to snake than something without two changes in direction, but your existing system is what it is so you have to adapt to it.

Here also are a few homeowner plumbing guides that we like:

Helpful Plumbing Hints for Residential Construction by Bert Polk Plumbing Inspector Lincoln County

Plumbing-and-Trenching-for-Homeowners---2018 (klickitatcounty.org)

Last edited by a moderator:

Unglued_YYZ

Reaction score
IMG_20150901_201644.jpg

I was able to remove the drywall tonight to find this - a wye coupling that directly attaches to the toilet flange.

Is there a clean way to remove the flange and connect my 90 degree elbow to the existing wye coupling without starting over and re-doing everything? Perhaps a better technique than slicing perpendicular notches into the toilet flange and breaking it away from the coupling?

I'd like to avoid dropping a large portion of the ceiling in the garage...

Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks