2nd plumbing question

Users who are viewing this thread

jpierce55

Reaction score
Reading up on here, I see that the vent on my kitchen sink is not correct. The 2 sinks connect with a tailpiece, p trap, and shoot straight down in the middle of the cabinet. The vent comes off about 6" above the trap, turns at a 90, goes into the wall and turns another 90. Probably 4-6" of horizontal run. I see that as an issue that can be fixed, but is it necessary to cut both 90's off the vent, would it be legal to do a street 90 directly to another 90? I ask that because otherwise i need to cut a hole in the wall to fix the vent. Just trying to get everything correct.

Reach4

Reaction score
If there are no symptoms, I would not worry about it. I am not a pro.

If you are concerned, post a photo.

jpierce55

Reaction score

Attachments

• 20150830_080858.jpg
    20150830_080858.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 143

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I'm guessing that there is an AAV off the top of the riser which is not shown in the photo. The tees that are installed are definitely wrong.
On a scale of hack jobs, I would give it a 5.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score

jpierce55,
1. The Ts are wrong. The T from the drain and the GD has to be an "end T". The T near the wall has to be sani T.
2. We can't tell if there is a vent or not, we can't see inside the wall.
3. The sink drain is not plumbed correctly, creating unnecessary pressure on the slip joints.

The entire drain needs to be cut out and new, correct drain installed.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It may work, but as said, it is not right. Whether there's an AAV in there somewhere or not, the vent should go up at least 42" above the floor before it can go horizontal, not counting the other errors.

jpierce55

Reaction score
Fwiw the riser not seen is a second sink, not an aav or gd. The pipe in the wall is attached to whatever vent. It works, it's just something I'll want to fix before selling the place. My inspector did not find anything wrong in this house leaving me with many sufferings over the last few years.

jpierce55

Reaction score
I've seen photos of offset drains (angled?), but with the vent going vertical. Could I do something like that in order to get in line with what is in the wall? Could I do a 90 to 90 to attach to the current vent? Or does the entire drain need to be in the wall? That wouldn't be easy. It looks like the wood in the floor of that area is 3" thick, from what I can see in the basement, plus its all lathe board in the walls, and that area of the floor is directly above the main support beam. I doubt I can get to it.

Reach4

Reaction score
The purpose of a trap is to keep sewer gases from coming out of the drain. The purpose of the vent for the kitchen sink vent is to keep the trap working right.

Yes, your vent is in technical violation of the code, but an actual difference in performance from the letter of the code is very unlikely. If your drain clogs or runs slow some day, the cause is not the vent. It is a clog.

DJ2 pointed out some non-vent deficiencies. Those would be relatively easy to fix compared to the venting. But unless water starts coming up in the right sink bowl or you detect leak, these flaws may not be enough to affect function later.

I suggest you find something else to worry about.

jpierce55

Reaction score
I'll draw up a concept for correction and post on here tomorrow if time permits. My plumber for my new work will take a look at it next week when he comes. But, if i can dyi i will. What is an end T, and what needs done to remove the slip joint tension?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks