Long vent dryer vs booster fan

Users who are viewing this thread

nsabel

Reaction score
Hi-- we're building a 3 story apartment building. We were planning on using dryer booster fans but contractor is recommending just picking a long vent dryer (90+ ft run capacity) and saving the money. Does this actually work?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I doubt a run that long would be reliable for several reasons:
- that length is likely WAY beyond the manufacturers' length allowed
- things would very likely condense before exiting, and the liquid water will have to go somewhere. Even on galvanized, it would eventually rust out and leak. Don't' even think about corrugated stuff.
- the performance of a dryer vent line will radically affect the ability of the dryer to function so times, if it dries much at all, would likely be excessive, costing much more in energy costs.
- it would be nearly impossible to clean a run that long of accumulated lint, creating a fire hazard, and further decreasing efficiency.

nsabel

Reaction score
Thanks Jim-- much appreciated.

I doubt a run that long would be reliable for several reasons:
- that length is likely WAY beyond the manufacturers' length allowed
- things would very likely condense before exiting, and the liquid water will have to go somewhere. Even on galvanized, it would eventually rust out and leak. Don't' even think about corrugated stuff.
- the performance of a dryer vent line will radically affect the ability of the dryer to function so times, if it dries much at all, would likely be excessive, costing much more in energy costs.
- it would be nearly impossible to clean a run that long of accumulated lint, creating a fire hazard, and further decreasing efficiency.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
It has been a week since your post so you probably have a solution by now, So here is my two cents. Look in the dryer installation manual. 25 feet is the norm for the maximum length. Adding a booster fan may help but no where 90 feet. A booster fan will just add another maintenance appliance. It will need to be clean regularly of lint, plus the noise it might add to the environment of the home. Always best to take the shortest route.

Betty Dennis

Reaction score
Mostly, the duct is so long that it's quite hard to push that air all the way through, even with a perfect installation. In that case adding a booster fan is a good option.

Stuff

Reaction score
Interesting. I see that some long vent dryers are rated to push air over 120' even with four elbows.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks