Low toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

NK11

Reaction score
Hi,
I wonder if I could get some advice on this. I'm having a really hard time finding a new toilet to replace an old American Standard in our bathroom. The issue is that the height of the tank needs to be low. The counter top of the vanity extends over the tank to form a shelf. From the floor to the bottom of the shelf is 29". The current toilet is about 15" tall at the tank so I need something similar.

My plumber told me he could install something with a few inches of clearance but then I wonder if he would really be able to service the tank if something should need replacing.

Does anybody have any recommendations for toilets with a short overall height. Thank you very much for any help! I really appreciate it.

Reach4

Reaction score
Eco Supreme

https://terrylove.com/pdf/ms864114e.pdf

img_1.png

Supreme® II
https://terrylove.com/pdf/MS634124CEF(G).pdf

img_2.png

ms864114e-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

NK11

Reaction score
Thank you, these look good. By the way, I wrote down the height wrong on our current toilet. It is 22.5" at the tank (not 15"!).

I'm probably going with one of these. Originally I thought I could get away with spending around 350 but I guess this is the price you pay for something with decent parts these days.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Well, you don't want to pay retail, as most plumbing supply places and other channels offer these toilets (Supreme MS864114E and Supreme II MS634114CEFG) at substantial discounts off retail. Figure 30-40 percent off the stated Toto price. Terry's prices above are what you should consider to be fair, but some places, in order to make a sale, will do even better. Terry's prices come with exceptional service, if you are lucky enough to be located near him, and it's often worth paying a little more for great service. You should call around to several plumbing supply houses with the exact model and color that you want, and tell them that you are ready to order and pay today if the price is fair. Try five places from the yellow pages, regardless of whether their ad says they carry Toto, because virtually all can get it. You will find some mean places and some very nice places. You will find more expensive places and very-reasonable places. There is no logic to it, but that method has served our members well for a few years now, and uncovered some great places to buy from in various regions.

NK11

Reaction score
Thanks! I appreciate the advice. This is the first toilet I've ever bought so I didn't know what the market was like for these things. I'll shop around and give it a try. I imagine this is part of how you've earned the title Wise One o_O haha

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
Thanks! I appreciate the advice. This is the first toilet I've ever bought so I didn't know what the market was like for these things. I'll shop around and give it a try. I imagine this is part of how you've earned the title Wise One o_O haha
Ha-ha!

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Blushing. And come back if you want some more purchase pointers or it doesn't yield the result you want. Also let us know when it's in, as we like to hear when our contributors have successes.

NK11

Reaction score
Which is the better toilet in your opinion? It looks like these 2 have different types of flushing mechanisms. Which would you go with:

Toto MS634114CEFG#01

or

TOTO MS864114#03

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The Supreme II has a lot more going on than the Supreme. And the Original Supreme that you tagged has the Power Gravity flushing system, which is quiet and effective but surpassed by the subsequent GMax flushing system. The Supreme II is going to come with CEFIONTECT, will be Universal Height, will be 1.28 gallons per flush and therefore qualify for Watersense rebates in some jurisdictions and has the dual-cyclone flush for a little better bowl wash and easier cleaning. The picture of the Supreme II (or Supreme-2 as they say it at that site) is wrong. The Supreme II looks like this:

Supreme%2BLi%2BDouble%2BCyclone%2BUh%2BSana%2Bgloss.jpg

They are both excellent toilets. I would pick the one that you like the looks of (and height of) better. But I wouldn't pay more for the Original Supreme than the Supreme II.

NK11

Reaction score
I'm going with the Supreme II and am getting it in about a week! Are there any special things I should tell our plumber about (parts to bring, etcetera...)? I saw the Double Wye on the spec sheet and sent it to him but I'm wondering if there's anything else.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Nope. Goes in like any other toilet. The double-Y is only if it's back to back with amother toilet on the other side of the wall. You can pull up the installation instructions online for him to read, but there's nothing special he needs to be concerned about.

NK11

Reaction score
New toilet works great! I'm glad I asked for advice, and thanks again for help with it. I attached a photo for everyone to see. The Supreme II :)

IMG_5290.jpg

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The toilet looks great there! And you will have plenty of room under the shelf to get at stuff inside if and when you need to. And because it uses industry-standard parts, you should have no problems getting parts for it 10-15 years from now, and you now have a real keeper in that bathroom. You did great! Thanks for sharing! Enjoy!!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, if that were being built today, it would never pass code...code requires a minimum of 15" clearance on BOTH sides from the centerline of the toilet to any obstructions. At least from your photo, you do not appear to have that. Something to consider if you remodel the bathroom, as an inspector would require you to bring it up to code at that time (would probably require a smaller vanity). At least for now, you have a great performing toilet.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
FWIW, if that were being built today, it would never pass code...code requires a minimum of 15" clearance on BOTH sides from the centerline of the toilet to any obstructions. At least from your photo, you do not appear to have that. Something to consider if you remodel the bathroom, as an inspector would require you to bring it up to code at that time (would probably require a smaller vanity). At least for now, you have a great performing toilet.

All they would have to do is pull out the vanity and replace it with a pedestal sink. If it's an older house, they probably started with a wall-mounted sink in that location.

Wallijonn

Reaction score

That is too claustrophobic for me. I'd not only remove the whole Formica top but I'd also install a thinner vanity. Yes, that may have been the look in the '60s but now I would choose a tank that is at the same height as the vanity top, which for most people is probably 28" - 30" high. Otherwise I'd rip it where the extension meets the main top and put a hinge on the top over the tank. The day that you have to get in there to replace the fill valve is the day you will probably wish that you had made the top more accessible. Me, I prefer function over form, so I wouldn't sacrifice flushing power for looks, not if it means that the lowered water pressure, due to the lowered tank, can lead to clogs.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks