Well pump problem

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYhandyguy

Reaction score
My well started to make sounds like water was spilling into the ground so I dug down to the pipe that comes out from inside the well but I found this metal box welded to the pipe that goes into the well and the sound is coming from inside but no water is spilling into the ground but my pump won't stop running. I had to turn it off for the fear that it might burn my pump can anyone tell me what is that box and what could happen if I cut it open.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 263
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 187

Reach4

Reaction score
Is that box on the side of a casing that goes up above ground? I t looks like welded pitless adapter.

Your symptoms could be cause by a big hole in the drop pipe. The fix would be made from above.

When you say "my pump won't stop running" do you means it runs continuously or repeatedly?

DIYhandyguy

Reaction score
Is that box on the side of a casing that goes up above ground? I t looks like welded pitless adapter.

Your symptoms could be cause by a big hole in the drop pipe.

When you say "my pump won't stop running" do you means it runs continuously or repeatedly?

Yes it is on the side wall of the casing. And my pump it is running continuosly.

DIYhandyguy

Reaction score
i opened the top of the casing that is above ground and looked down the shaft and I can see water gushing out from that spot where the box is.

Reach4

Reaction score
What you want to do is to lift the well cap and take pictures of what you see (use a camera if you have one) including at the depth of the pitless if possible. Also search for the word pitless and try to match what you find with what you see. And hear. With the cap off, you should hear that water flow loudly coming from the casing. You can move the power wires gently to improve your view. Put the cap back on before leaving the well.

Actually, this is probably time to call your well pro, who's sticker is probably on or near the pressure tank. That one will already know what kind of pitless you have and will be able to pull up your well pipes and make the repair.

Edit... OK... saw your update. There will be an O-ring or similar gasket there, which may have failed. I am surprised that the leak of a failed seal would pass enough water to make the pump run continuously, but there it is. The well company can pull the drop pipe up a several feet and make the repair. It is possible they will have to change the pitless, so leave your excavation open until the repair. Most likely they will not have to change the pitless but just the gasket. Or it could be a pipe failed enough to spew water where it attaches to the pitless.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
That's what we call a drill through or clear hole pitless and you can't just change it because it's welded to the casing. If you have to change the receiver or box as you call it, the casing has to be cut off and another piece welded on then another pitless unit installed. If I was doing that I'd use a Martinson B10x style pitless unit. Why? Because it's all brass with no dissimilar metals to corrode

I've seen your type of pitless so seized together that the brass insert broke when it when it was pulled with a hoist truck.

I rarely use this type of pitless due to the combination of metals.......

Reach4

Reaction score
If I was doing that I'd use a Martinson B10x style pitless unit.
Do you have a favorite pitless to use if the casing was 4 inch steel and you wanted to use a "4 inch" pump?

Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Did down deeper. Drill a new hole in the casting, install new pitiless adapter. Not a job for the average homeowner.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yep,

Fabricate an adapter from 4" up to 6", use 6" casing and put the pitless in the 6". All you have to do is offset it a little so the drop pipe doesn't drag on the 4". I made this one to go from 8" down to 6"....

Piece of cake

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 201

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks.

In my case, the casing only extended a few inches through a concrete slab that was the floor of pit. I was concerned that the suggested custom adapter extending with 5 inch would require the pitless to be raised higher and maybe end up above the frost line. He did not say that would not be a problem. Maybe the pitless has an arm that is long enough to reach without the pitless being higher than the bottom of the bigger casing. Anyway showed me the Merrill stainless SMCK throughway pitless he had on his truck, and I opted for that. It just takes whoever works on it in the future to know how it works.

Your pitless in the pictures appears to be a little higher than the original.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is an old old well that didn't have a pitless. The bury depth of the pitless is well over 4', so it won't freeze

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks