Sewage gas smell

Users who are viewing this thread

Marinda_c

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here, looking for advice. I rent an apartment and recently the garbage disposal was replaced due to issues and while the plumber was here he told me that the plumbing under the kitchen sink was wrong. It always smells really bad even though he flushed the pipes. I barely use the garbage disposal and my bf thinks the sewage gas is seeping from the pipes. My avatar picture is from under my sink. Can anyone tell me if the plumbing is in fact "wrong" and if so if it's against code- would my apartment be obligated to fix it?

Attachments

• IMG_20150828_142922_699.jpg
    IMG_20150828_142922_699.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 265

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your under the sink plumbing is wrong. If you rent, it is the responsibility of the landlord to fix it - unless you did this mess yourself or had it done by an unprofessional person.
To fix it: connect the GD to the long vertical sink drain (with an "end piece") and eliminate the Y at the wall.
Call the landlord and send him a letter, you should document it.

Marinda_c

Reaction score
Your under the sink plumbing is wrong. If you rent, it is the responsibility of the landlord to fix it - unless you did this mess yourself or had it done by an unprofessional person.
To fix it: connect the GD to the long vertical sink drain (with an "end piece") and eliminate the Y at the wall.
Call the landlord and send him a letter, you should document it.

It was like this when I moved in. Thank you for your advice. I didn't want to complain if there was nothing wrong, but it seems that it is wrong.

Marinda_c

Reaction score
Lol are you joking. The plumbing is horrible

The plumbing was like this when I moved in. I've never done any sort of plumbing which is why I sought out advice before complaining to my landlord. I didn't do it and I thought it might be wrong, but I wanted to make sure it was wrong before talking to my landlord.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I wanted to make sure it was wrong before talking to my landlord.

That's what we're here for. I'm guessing your landlord did this himself or hired a handyman to do it. Just because the pieces fit together doesn't mean it is correct.

Here are a couple of plumbing guides for homeowners that we like and you may find interesting.

http://www.klickitatcounty.org/documentcenter/view/103

Helpful Plumbing Hints for Residential Construction by Bert Polk Plumbing Inspector Lincoln County

The second guide is by Bert Polk, a highly-regarded plumbing inspector, and the photos in his guide show how it looks when good plumbers do their work correctly and in compliance with the building code. Maybe a little advanced, but very well done.

By the way, in your photo, I don't really see where sewer gas would be escaping out of the sides of the pipes or at the pipe connections themselves, but it is I guess possible that with the Y at the end there, one drain might be siphoning the P-trap of the other, and gas could be rising from the sink drain. (The P-trap is the U correctly done on the non-disposer sink in your photo that holds water in the bottom of the U and thus blocks sewer gas from flowing up the drain; the water in the trap provides a seal against gas coming up through the sink drain into your kitchen). You say you don't use your disposer but you probably do use your dishwasher, the drain of which is connected to your disposer. Modern dishwashers don't produce a huge jet of water when pumping out the way our old Maytag dishwasher did, but I guess it could be enough of a rush when it hits that Y at the wall that it could siphon the p-trap of the non-disposer sink drain and thus be the cause of what you are smelling. And maybe vice-versa depending upon how you use your non-disposer sink. It could well be something else, but that's the most obvious possibility -- and is one reason why the disposer is normally hooked up in a dual-sink the way the Lowe's guy does it. I would give each drain opening in your sinks a good sniff and see which (if any) of them has a gassy smell.

Last edited by a moderator:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
That might have been the same kitchen cabinet installer who did this one as your rental.

Attachments

• IMG_1946.JPG
    IMG_1946.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 270
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks