Hudson reed thermostatic shower valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Sean mckenna

Reaction score
  • hi,
  • I installed a Hudson reed thermostatic shower valve and I am having issues with it leaking. See attached photos. The fitting that goes into the valve is 3/4 BSP. This is a straight thread fitting and therefore has a rubber o-ring to make the seal.
  • When I apply full pressure to the valve the o-rings pop out. The fitting that was supplied in the box does not have enough surface to grab the o-ring and hold it tight.
  • I contacted Hudson reed and there response was to use Teflon tape. That did not work. These are straight threads not tapered threads.
  • I need help. Does anyone know where I can get a 3/4 BSP to NPT brass adapter that will seal tight to this valve.
  • The fitting in question is 3/4 BSP to 1/2 NPT brass adapter.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 942
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,099

Reach4

Reaction score
img_2.png

Is this the water from the leak that you are writing about?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some of those adapter fittings rely on a washer verses an O-ring to make a seal in the same manner as what is used on a hose connected to your outside hose bib. The tub/shower valve I have utilizes that type of fitting and uses a washer instead of an O-ring...been working fine now for over 10-years.

Sean mckenna

Reaction score
Reach 4, you are pointing out my pex crimp ring. Do you not like pex? If however your question was serious then no. The water is coming from the black O-ring at the fitting that threads into the shower valve.

Getting back to topic. I will remove the o-rings that were supplied and try to find a rubber washer instead.

Magneto

Reaction score
Precisely, use a washer that should take care of you problem if not look into another fitting type, you might be using a defective fitting.

Reach4

Reaction score
Reach 4, you are pointing out my pex crimp ring. Do you not like pex? If however your question was serious then no. The water is coming from the black O-ring at the fitting that threads into the shower valve.
I was serious. I thought I saw a drop of water in the photo, and I did not see what I thought was water elsewhere.

When I use O-rings, I like to lube them lightly using silicone grease. I use a nitrile glove.

Stuart hamer

Reaction score
  • hi,
  • I installed a Hudson reed thermostatic shower valve and I am having issues with it leaking. See attached photos. The fitting that goes into the valve is 3/4 BSP. This is a straight thread fitting and therefore has a rubber o-ring to make the seal.
  • When I apply full pressure to the valve the o-rings pop out. The fitting that was supplied in the box does not have enough surface to grab the o-ring and hold it tight.
  • I contacted Hudson reed and there response was to use Teflon tape. That did not work. These are straight threads not tapered threads.
  • I need help. Does anyone know where I can get a 3/4 BSP to NPT brass adapter that will seal tight to this valve.
  • The fitting in question is 3/4 BSP to 1/2 NPT brass adapter.
I got the same stupid answer from Hudson Reed when I had the same issue. There are special washers that you can buy that are specifically for this type of connection. They are metal but also have a rubber interior piece to provide a seal. Check the link below. The size is the internal pipe size.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/shop.axd/Search?keywords=bonded+seal

"BSPP (British Standard Parallel Pipe) is most popular in the UK, Europe, Asia, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa. It is a parallel thread fitting that uses a bonded seal ring to do the sealing. This bonded ring seal is sandwiched in-between a shoulder on the male fitting and the face of the female fitting and is squeezed in place"

Stuart

Attachments

• Bonded_Seal_boden2108_new.jpg
    Bonded_Seal_boden2108_new.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 656
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks