New Electrical Service and meter for detached garage

Users who are viewing this thread

Dlrwirelesspro

Reaction score
I am a new member and stumbled across your site for hopefully a simple answer.

Backstory: I just bought a new house and we have a 40x30 detached garage on the property that currently has no electric service, puzzling I know. I am converting it into my own miniature home garage (I flip cars occasionally) and man cave in the unfinished upstairs 20x40. I am having a the utility company run a separate 200 amp service to it. The electric company is pulling their own wire 187' feet onto my property from the pole they set at the beginning of my property. I have to install the underground pvc 187' feet from the pole to the breaker box/disconnect I purchased (Eaton MBT48B200BTS) so they can pull their own wiring. I have to run pvc and my own wire another 100 feet to my detached garage and connect to a 200 amp breaker panel. The wire sizes I am using: two 3/0 thhn copper hot legs and one 2/0 thhn copper neutral. Ground rods I am using are copper 5/8" by 8' and the ground wire I am using is 4 gauge solid copper.

Questions: 1. Do I need to run two ground rods at the meter base/disconnect and at least one at the detached garage or vice versa? 2. Do I have to run a green stranded ground wire between the disconnect and the breaker panel if there are no breakers other than the disconnect in between the service and my building? Do I connect the bonding screw in the meter base/disconnect or the breaker panel in the detached garage?

Dlrwirelesspro

Reaction score
Those are all questions which should be answered in your electrical permit and inspection.

My city is very vague in answering this. They don't provide any rules to go by only saying I need to follow the NEC codes regarding this. Does anyone know the NEC codes regarding this or point me to the right code number? I'm trying to be as prepared as possible before the rough in inspection.

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
My city is very vague in answering this. They don't provide any rules to go by only saying I need to follow the NEC codes regarding this.

That is because with few exceptions electrical inspections in Tennessee are made by a State Electrical Inspector, not the city or county. Your inspector should be on this list: www.mtemc.com/acrobat/Electrical_Inspections.pdf. Give the inspector listed for the Spring Hill area a call and ask your questions ahead of time. Most will also meet you at your site to answer questions you may have. The knowledge imparted will be well worth the fee charged for an additional inspection.

Reach4

Reaction score
That is because with few exceptions electrical inspections in Tennessee are made by a State Electrical Inspector, not the city or county.
When is a permit or inspection required by law for electrical work in TN?

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
When is a permit or inspection required by law for electrical work in TN?

For residential work, it is my understanding that anything other than routine maintenance or a project with a dollar value of less than $100 requires an electrical permit in Tennessee. The electrical permit is issued separately from the building permit, which typically covers all other trades.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks