Toilet Problem - Refill cutting in and out

Users who are viewing this thread

Serena5

Reaction score
Hey all -

I'm having a problem with my toilet refill and I hope someone can help me. I can't seem to find a user manual online and I can't afford a plumber at the moment. I've only had this toilet installed a few months. It keeps cutting in and out when refilling, and doesn't quite flush properly because of it.

Please see the video of the problem here...

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Serena

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks for the help! Unfortunately my brand of toilet isn't listed on that site :(
What is your brand?

These things are pretty generic and stand-alone. Much more so than the flush valve (flapper etc). There are plenty of Youtube and manufacturer videos. You unscrew the stuff on the bottom ending with a (usually) plastic nut. Lift out the old. Put the new through the hole. Ideally replace the supply line and maybe the stop valve (get a quarter turn ball valve if you change out). Screw together. That is the overview, but do use the directions.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Oh, that's okay. The dirty little secret is that most of the innards on most toilets are more-or-less similar. There are important differences, but many components of most toilets can be replaced with a standard part. On dual-flushes, the flush valve usually is pretty-unique, and that appears to be the case for yours.

However, I can assure you that the Korky 528MP fill valve will work just fine in your toilet, just from looking at it. The 528MP is the one with the silver cap, and is available at Home Depot among other stores: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Korky-QuietFill-MaxPERFORMANCE-Fill-Valve-528MCM/203145423

korky-quietfill-p.jpg

If your brand of toilet isn't on the Korky list, no problem. It will fit just fine, and to adjust the amount of water that is used to refill the bowl after a flush (the amount that goes through that hose from the fill valve to the flush valve), you can adjust a little knob on it by trial and error to get it perfect. It will take less than 5 minutes of tinkering. (Or, if you don't want to bother tinkering, you can just leave the refill all the way open, and a little water will be wasted by putting more water in the bowl than absolutely-necessary.)

I am amused by the video, because the valve is malfunctioning in a way that is spitting water into the float chamber, which means that the float closes the valve until the water drains out of the float chamber, then, as soon as it opens, the valve spits water into the float chamber and closes the valve, until water drains out and it opens, only to spit water into the float chamber, and on and on. The toilet will take forever to refill.

A new Korky 528MP valve, easy to install, will totally solve your problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks