Fire Sprinklers attached Garage.

Users who are viewing this thread

tonyprieto

Reaction score
GARAGE SPRINKLERS NEEDED.jpg
Hello I am currently building a new cabin in N Georgia and my building inspector told me instead of hanging 5/8 sheet rock i could install a couple of fire sprinklers in the garage area only. I currently have a 1" main reduced to 3/4 ball valve. I have a 3/4 CPVC cold water supply running off the ball valve directly next to the garage (please see the attached floor plan.) So if anyone can shed some light on what i need to do please feel free to reply.. Thanks!

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I only know a little about commercial sprinkler systems. I'm sure there is plenty of info on the WEB about home installations but a few things you need to consider. If you ever get a freezing weather you may have a frozen pipe situation, You need constant water pressure behind the sprinkler system, does the cabin have a well or city water, will the pump have power to it 24/7. On city water you need a back flow prevention valve. Nothing beats a sprinkler system but there is maintenace. Cost wise it might be wash between the two but will the inspector allow you the homeowner to install it or require a certified installer?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There are more "requirements" for a sprinkler system than just "hanging a couple of heads" in the ceiling. A "proper" system has a detector check, alarm bell, test cock, etc. The only thing worse than no fire system, is an improperly installed one that you THINK is adequate. 5/8" sheetrock will probably be a lot less expensive.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm surprised your inspector suggested this option. As mentioned its more involved than you think. I once built a home in a "fire zone" with tons of regulations, inspections and certificates. No need to explain it, since your county most likely has its own set of rules.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Where does water come from when PVC melts ?

If you want to put out a Garage fire water is not the best choice.

If this is a code requirement, then I would move.

Good Luck.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Have you ever seen a fire sprinkler system with plastic pipe or hoses (PEX)? No? Well neither have I. Every system I have ever seen was plumbed with iron pipe. As others have pointed out, this is not a DIY job and it may very likely not the best for your situation.

DonL

Reaction score
I would invest in fire prevention and smoke detection.

Water is not going to help much, Unless you need fuel for the grease fire.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If freezing is an issue, they do make dry sprinkler systems. The pipes are filled with compressed air, and if heat causes one of the heads to open, the pressure loss trips a valve that lets the water in. Generally, having a sprinkler system can save you money on your insurance every month.

DonL

Reaction score
Residential fire systems ARE piped with CPVC, so that is not a factor. HOW it is piped is the main consideration.

I would not trust it.

Sounds like a Chinese fire drill to me.

You need a lot of water flow before it does any good. 1 inch iron works.

I guess you also need Flood insurance for one of those CPVC systems ?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Ever boiled water in a paper cup? WOrks fine. If there's water flow, unless it is a very unusual fire, the pipe won't melt while there is water flowing through it.

Magneto

Reaction score
You make a good point, but PEX can withstand temperatures of up to 200 degrees and if freezing is the main concern then it wont burst. DIY or not, if it is done right then there should be no issues.

DonL

Reaction score
Ever boiled water in a paper cup? WOrks fine. If there's water flow, unless it is a very unusual fire, the pipe won't melt while there is water flowing through it.

Yes I have. It can make steam too.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; but people should be able to install whatever they like, however they like, into their own home.

I guess you are one of those "codes? We don't need any stinkin' codes" people.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Codes are written to protect people from both themselves, and from potentially injuring others. Ignore them at your own peril.

Magneto

Reaction score
No one is arguing codes, I'm saying that if someone can do it sufficiently enough to pass the codes then they should be allowed that privilege. That's all. I understand the risk of installing something improperly, and I agree for the most part, but not selling a sprinkler system to someone without a license? That is taking it too far in my opinion.

DonL

Reaction score
I have never seen one piped in plastic.

I must be a Old Fart.

Maybe I should get out more.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks