Had a new sump basin installed - drain tile question

Users who are viewing this thread

Mgwisc

Reaction score
Hello,

I have existing 3" interior/exterior drain tile that leads to a sump pit in the corner of the basement. The old basin was solid black plastic and only had 2 holes for the drain tile to enter, otherwise sealed (no perforations). There was about 3-5" of black, corrugated drain tile coming into the pit for both inlets.

Yesterday I had a new sump basin installed that replaced the existing, along with a new pump and battery backup pump. In order to get the old basin out they had to cut back the 3-5" of drain tile that entered the old basin. With the new basin in place, it looks like the existing corrugated drain tile is about 1/2" short of entering the new basin. It's almost as if the existing drain tile stops JUST short of the new holes in the new basin. In order to "extend" the drain tile into the pit, they put roughly a 5" length (maybe more cannot see) of PVC inside the drain tile so it extends into the openings in the basin. The 3" PVC has fairly large holes drilled in it, and the holes are facing down.

My question is, is this method of "extending" the drain tile into the basin acceptable? The fit is fairly snug between the 3" perforated PVC and the 3" drain tile, but certainly not "water tight". My concern is that some water will leak outside of the basin. The sump basin is set in large crushed rock. Is this cause for concern that I might have some water flowing/leaking out of the drain tile and "missing" the basin?

Mgwisc

Reaction score
I've uploaded a couple photos, they were too large for the site so I have links below. The white PVC piece you see in the "after" picture is the perforated 3" pvc they inserted in the 3" drain tile. You can see some of the fill around there, there may even be a few rocks in side there holding the PVC piece. It is not "secured" in anyway.

If I put my hands in the hole I can feel the drain tile almost immediately outside the basin. It's maybe 1/2"-1/4" short of entering the basin. To bridge the gap they stuck some 3" perforated PVC inside the drain tile with holes facing down.

My main question is, is it a cause for concern if there is water leaking/draining outside of the basin into the surrounding stone fill that the basin sits in. In heavy rains I do get a pretty steady flow. Or will this 3" perforated PVC do the trick to bridge the gap adequately?

You can also see in the "after" picture that the one inlet is going to empty pretty much right on the battery backup pump. Not sure if this is an issue either.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks

before pic:
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m108/mikepg/before_zpsg9ainaae.png

after pic:
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m108/mikepg/after_zpsrfh9nlxe.png

Mgwisc

Reaction score
Update - I believe my first post states an incorrect interior drain tile size. I believe my interior drain tile is 4" diameter and they did use a 3" piece of perforated PVC to bridge the gap from the 4" drain tile which is about 1/2" short of entering the basin..

We also had a storm here a couple days ago. Due to some gutter and landscaping issues, my pump becomes very active during storms like this. It was going off every 45 seconds and draining the basin in about 7 seconds. I did notice a heavy flow of water coming from the one 3" PVC extension where I would expect the heavier flow.

However, after rain storms like this, normally I see water trickling from the drain tile for several days to several weeks after. In my new setup, I do not see it trickling out of the PVC extensions at all 12 hours later. My assumption is the trickle is slow enough that it is flowing under/around the 3" PVC extension and just weeping down into the rock bed below. Some of this water does end up in the basin through the small holes all throughout the basin itself.

So the main question is: Should I be concerned that I have a "loose" connection between the drain tile and the basin and some of the water is missing the basin and weeping down into the rocks immediately surrounding the basin? Or is this nothing to worry about?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks