What is a Cold Start system ???

Users who are viewing this thread

Bigal41

Reaction score
I recently had a stand alone electric hybrid water heater installed and have turned off my oil burner to save on fuel. The burner is a slantfin M/N L-30PT it will be turned on in the winter to heat hot water for my baseboards ( it had a small internal coil for my domestic water ) . In doing some reading I noticed that some people ref to something called a " Cold Start " system .... what is that and do I need that. What can I expect to happen once cold weather sets in here in New England and I flip the switch for the furnace ?

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
A cold-start boiler is a boiler that is not damaged by letting it cool way down. Many boilers suffer excessive corrosion on the heat exchanger plates if it's allowed to drop below some minimum temperature between burns, due to the acidity of exhaust condensate (which is much more acid with oil fuels than with propane or natural gas.)

With oil boilers that temp is often 130-135F, and the usual manufacturer's recommendation for a 140F low-limit to give it some margin. This is/was particularly true for higher-mass boilers that would have a longer heat-up ramp time, with correspondingly higher condensate quantities. Many newer boilers are both lower mass and use materials a bit more condensate-tolerant on the heat exchanger plates.

Boilers with embedded coils for domestic hot water typically needed 160F or higher idling temperatures to produce reasonable hot water performance. But any oil boiler used for space heating would be fine with a 140F minimum temp, and many newer boilers are cold-start tolerant.

Even those not designed for cold-starting will not have a problem if you only cold-start it once per year, even if chronic daily cold-starting would ruin them quickly.

On p.16 of the manual Slant Fin recommends flushing the boiler while it's still hot to get the sludge out of the bottom, then adding sodium chromate solution and bringing it fully up to temp for an hour when shutting it down for extended periods. That's a bit excessive if you're turning it off in May and firing it up again in September. It's worth doing the sludge-purge and heat-up at the end of the season, but I'm less convinced that the chromate is really necessary if it's only idle for a few months.

If you didn't purge it when you turned it off it'll still be fine, but early in the season fire it up (without pumping the water through the radiation- keep the wall thermostats turned way down or off), and purge any sludge that ended up in the bottom of the boiler. Your circulation pumps will thank you for it later.

Boilers that were also used for domestic hot water are usually ridiculously oversized for the space heating load of a typical house in CT, and will have poor as-used AFUE efficiency as a result. There are a couple of ways of improving the as-used efficiency:

A: Adding a heat-purging economizer control such as the Intellicon 3250 or Beckett Heat Manager,

....and...

B: down-firing the burner by installing a smaller jet more appropriately for your actual heat load, now that you don't need the higher-fire to keep the hot water flowing at reasonable rates.

Both are worth thinking about here.

The heat purging economizer is very low risk, and is DIY-able for those with electrical skills. They are usually good for a double-digit percentage in fuel-use savings when the boiler is 2-3x oversized for the load, and they reduce the total numbers of burns, taking some wear & tear off the boiler.

To down-size the burner jet requires a bit more analysis, (but it's analysis worth doing anyway), as well as combustion analyzer equipment. If you have the boiler serviced on a semi-regular basis they probably indicate on the service tag what size jet is installed.

If you have a fuel use history of exact fill-up dates & quantities &/or a mid-to-late winter fill-up bill with a "K-factor" and your ZIP code (for outside design temperature and weather data) we can get a very good handle on the total heat load. Odds are the smallest jet that can operate in that boiler is still more than 2x your actual heat load, but that's a lot better than 4-5x oversizing, from an operating-efficiency point of view.

The total length of baseboard on the system (per zone, if it's broken up into zones) would be also important, since too much radiation for the size of the burner jet could result chronic boiler operation at temps that are lower than prudent, and might need some near-boiler plumbing tweaks to work.

BTW: "Furnace" generally refers to a hot-air furnace that uses ducts for distributing the heat. A heating appliance using steam or pumped hot water and baseboards or radiators for delivering the heat is generally referred to as a "boiler".

Bigal41

Reaction score
Dana , thank you for that reply .. I gather that I will do no harm come winter heating season here in NE when I go and throw the switch. As to the boiler, I called slant fin and they told me that there aren't really any seals in the unit just metal pipe nipples. My concern was will the seals if any dry up and leak ...their reply was NO .

BTW the hybrid W/H is doing great ... I don't run out of hot water now when we take showers. Couldn't ask for anything better.

Thank you again ......

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
It doesn't do any harm when you throw the switch, but it's still worth doing an annual sludge-purge, as mentioned.

Short of installing a heat-purging economizer control or lowering the firing rate, it's worth turning down the operating temperature of the boiler to the safe limits too (140F lo-limit, unless otherwise specified) unless that causes short-cycling (burns less than 5 minutes, more than 5 burns per hour.) Lowering the temp reduces standby & distribution losses, increasing average efficiency. Oil prices are down from the 5-year average, but that's not to say that it's "cheap". When the embedded coil is being used for hot water it often takes 160-170F idling temp to have reasonable hot water performance, but most heating systems don't need temps that high to keep the place warm. A 20-30F difference in the lo-limit temp can be worth 50+ gallons of oil per year in idling & distribution losses. There's no good reason for the boiler room to be the warmest room in the house.

Glad to hear the hybrid HW heater is working out!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks