Why do I have 3 tanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Littletmv

Reaction score
Not necessarily, in fact probably not IMO. It might be catalytic carbon (maybe even Centaur Carbon) -- which is not at all the same as activated charcoal carbon. A Centaur Carbon filter should be on the front. I don't know about getting air in with that controller though. The people who put in that dual tank softener were not cheaping out, and I really doubt they would have put Coconut charcoal in that position. Now the way that it would make sense to have activated carbon there is if it was preceded by a chlorine or other oxidizer injection system.

Diffuser come on top

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 254

Bannerman

Reaction score
Could be pyrolox media.

A heavy iron removal media which requires daily backwashing.

A photo of the controller would be helpful as we may then view the backwash frequency and possibly the duration originally programmed. A photo may also show an air/chemical injection device since that question remains unanswered.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
What arsenic media are you using if it is going to be working on iron?
Arsenic media that I know does not play well with iron.
Now it is not to say that if you oxidize the iron it will pull out arsenic.. but it would need to be checked after to find out the level of arsenic after that form of treatment.

The way I wrote it did sound a little strange, thanks for the request for clarification.

I was generalizing, the OP had mentioned the order may be incorrect. Since we do not know what his water problems are or the type of media, I was just giving some examples.

You are correct, Arsenic specific medias do not like iron, and if you have iron, then an iron reduction system can be used to extend the arsenic reduction media life by using the ferric iron that the iron reduction system collects to lessen the load on the arsenic system.

Littletmv

Reaction score
Hi everyone, all done. I piped the dual tanks first in line, then the caron aio tank. I replaced the carbon and gravel. They felt one bag of carbon was enough for a 10 54 size tank.. Whats your opinion on that?

Reach4

Reaction score
Hi everyone, all done. I piped the dual tanks first in line, then the caron aio tank. I replaced the carbon and gravel. They felt one bag of carbon was enough for a 10 54 size tank.. Whats your opinion on that?

I don't know what a caron aio is. What did you put into it? If it is activated charcoal, there is more than one kind of that. Activated charcoal is not normally used as an iron filter by itself.

By dual tanks, I think you meant your softener. If so, I think softener should have gone last.

ditttohead

Reaction score
Makes no sense. The iron reduction system should go first in order to increase the capacity and efficiency of the softener as well as protect it.

Littletmv

Reaction score
Makes no sense. The iron reduction system should go first in order to increase the capacity and efficiency of the softener as well as protect it.
Its coconut shell media. Twin tanks first in line with resin, then the carbon tank, (uses air injector). When it was piped first in line, this is what happened to the carbon tank. That why supply house suggested reverse the order

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 253

ditttohead

Reaction score
That's what is supposed to happen, iron reduction systems require some maintenance. Cleaning of the valves, components, etc. is all part of it. The softener valve was being protected from that.

It would be like putting a 5 micron sediment filter ahead of a 20 micron filter...

Littletmv

Reaction score
Its coconut shell media. Twin tanks first in line with resin, then the carbon tank, (uses air injector). When it was piped first in line, this is what happened to the carbon tank. That why supply house suggested reverse the order
And i do have a rosco sediment filter before all systems
That's what is supposed to happen, iron reduction systems require some maintenance. Cleaning of the valves, components, etc. is all part of it. The softener valve was being protected from that.

It would be like putting a 5 micron sediment filter ahead of a 20 micron filter...
oh boy, well, i guess I will find out shortly.. Im just not sure how many bags of carbon media for 10 54 tank

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
1.5 bags.
and about 15lbs of gravel

There is not one thing that does not get some kind of maintenance.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Hey guys, many years ago when I worked at Sears "home improvement dept" there were two kinds of iron filters, potassium permanganate and chlorine mixing tank (a mixing tank plus a second tank to filter out the oxidized iron). They were alway placed in front of the water softener. Could the first tank ever have been a potassium permanganate filter? Are they still used?

ditttohead

Reaction score
Pot perm greensand regen systems are still used, but they are not as common as they used to be as more modern iron reduction technologies have come about. Greensand and other manganese dioxide ore based medias have a very low attrition rate so it is unlikely that was the media.

FYI, the systems should be reversed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks