Attention Dittohead and all others!

Users who are viewing this thread

ByteMe

Semi-Pure awesomeness!
Reaction score
Buying house in Eastern Ohio that has well water. need recommended test company and testing.

Already failed a Coliform test and can see yellow iron.

Expect I will be putting in something of a water filtering system soon with all your help!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
It looks like a value leader.

That Kit60 seems to have all of the important results.

Regarding coliform, how deep is your well? It is important in such a test to sterilize the faucet you will take your sample from and let the water run for several minutes.

Edit: hardness number is included in the report.

Last edited:

ByteMe

Semi-Pure awesomeness!
Reaction score
250' deep
127' static

Recovery tested >7gpm for 90 minutes ... 7gpm is pump limit

Reach4

Reaction score
I like this sanitizing method for the well and plumbing: http://www.moravecwaterwells.com/index.php/maintainance/disinfection-and-testing I would do it after well or plumbing work and a couple weeks or more before your last testing for coliform, since that could hide a well flaw where surface water is leaking in.

Note that high chlorine levels are not good for the softener resin. I would take steps to see that the softener resin sees a much smaller amount of chlorine than the rest of the system. Do see that the water heater and the hot water pipes see stronger chlorine.

ByteMe

Semi-Pure awesomeness!
Reaction score
There currently is NO filtering/sanitizing equipment in place.

The waterline comes in, goes to pressure tank and then out to rest of house. I will be replacing pressure tank with CSV.

I already expect I'll need a chlorine injection , retention tank, booster pump, back washing carbon tank and softener.

Argh, who can get me a deal? Have plenty of space, a drain and 110V AC in area.

Reach4

Reaction score
You really should get your water test results before buying your system.

You may be fine with a simpler Katalox Light system. Is that a 3/4 or 1 HP pump? Is that 7 GPM your nominal pump rating, or is it how much water came out during your pump test?

Any sulfur smells? I presume your toilet tanks and more are rust colored.

ByteMe

Semi-Pure awesomeness!
Reaction score
No smells, No rust stains... Yet. Previous owner had water softener.

ByteMe

Semi-Pure awesomeness!
Reaction score
Two coliform tests.

130 mg/L

Shocked well

140 mg/L

Crapola

No e-coli

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
A water test is critical for properly sizing and designing a system. Lets see whats in the water and then have some fun.

ByteMe

Semi-Pure awesomeness!
Reaction score
Fine, just ordered test kit. With the mailing .. Should have results early next week.

STAY TUNED PEOPLE!

Reach4

Reaction score
Coliforms after a disinfection on a 250 ft well would indicate a leak into the well, inadequate disinfection, or the sample getting contaminated as you draw the sample. http://www.moravecwaterwells.com/index.php/maintainance/disinfection-and-testing is the disinfection method that I like. If you just pour a jug of bleach down the casing, that does not wash the casing above the water. The bleach can just run down one side of the casing. If you don't sufficiently sanitize the faucet with bleach or heat, you can get stuff from the faucet that you use.

Do you know how deep the casing on this well goes? What I say below may be more likely than usual to be wrong: I would think that Ohio wells would usually have casing all of the way down. In many wells, especially in the west, they run casing down only part of the way -- until they first hit rock. If the casing were only down a short distance, that would seem to make the cementing job to be more critical in keeping surface water out of the well.

ByteMe

Semi-Pure awesomeness!
Reaction score
Coliforms after a disinfection on a 250 ft well would indicate a leak into the well, inadequate disinfection, or the sample getting contaminated as you draw the sample. http://www.moravecwaterwells.com/index.php/maintainance/disinfection-and-testing is the disinfection method that I like. If you just pour a jug of bleach down the casing, that does not wash the casing above the water. The bleach can just run down one side of the casing. If you don't sufficiently s freeanitize the faucet with bleach or heat, you can get stuff from the faucet that you use.

Do you know how deep the casing on this well goes? What I say below may be more likely than usual to be wrong: I would think that Ohio wells would usually have casing all of the way down. In many wells, especially in the west, they run casing down only part of the way -- until they first hit rock. If the casing were only down a short distance, that would seem to make the cementing job to be more critical in keeping surface water out of the well.

Casing is 200'. I used 6 gallons distilled vinegar and 2 gallons unsented bleach.

Cycled water back into well for an hour after I could first smell the bleech. Ran water out of every house outlet; all sinks, baths, washer, dishwasher, refrig, outside faucets, etc until bleech smell. Hot and cold.

Washed well casing for 15 minutes, flushed well cap for a minute.

Let sit for 10 hours and then flushed out well into pasture for an hour. Wife then flushed out house water while I went to work.

5 days later water taken from bathroom sink after he used a sanitizer on aerater.

Result 140 coliform.

ByteMe

Semi-Pure awesomeness!
Reaction score
Have drilling log, casing is 245 feet deep. Sent out water samples in provided vials USPS today. Expect results end of next week.

ByteMe

Semi-Pure awesomeness!
Reaction score
Both of us have confirmation that the samples are at the labs. Results to soon follow, bump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks